FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Depression Could Lead to Cellphone Addiction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Depression Could Lead to Cellphone Addiction Reply with quote

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/...-or-vice-versa/

"In another classic "chicken-or-the-egg" type of conundrum, a newly released study is claiming that instead of a so-called "cellphone addiction" causing people depression and lower self-esteem, as we'd previously heard, the supposed addiction may actually be triggered by those very same negative feelings. In a study of school-aged South Korean children, Dr. Jee Hyan Ha found that those students who used their phones the most (90 or more times a day, including SMS) also tended to score higher on a psychological test intended to measure a person's level of depression."

It so typical of our society today; Blame always falls somewhere else. When I was younger it wasn't "the cellphone", it was TV ad Video Games that are the root of all of the youths problems. I'm sure you can find a report claiming that video games are directly linked to the increase in constipation in the youth of today. Rolling Eyes Anyway, if you want to see depression, just take the phone away from those kids. Then you'll really start to see depression and anger and frustration and... Wink
Jon Westfall
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article itself outs the big loophole in these types of articles: You cannot draw a causal link to any of this stuff, it is merely correlations. And we know that correlations can be found in any sample large enough to support them. I'll have to look up the original journal citation here (if there is one) and investigate further, if not just to get a laugh at how the mainstream media most likely blew a "discussion" section comment out of proportion.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, take away any of my toys and the result will be ugly. Depression? I skip right past that one and go directly to Anxiety and Rage! We are talking F5 here.

#Onfire

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only see this article being valid if you have an mpx220 Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ctmagnus
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
We are talking F5 here.

#Onfire

I tried that, but it just refreshes the window. Confused totally

Wink
gerlinda
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jerry on this one...just went a week without my cell phone...it wasn't pretty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: