FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Motorola Q with HSDPA and WiFi by Christmas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Motorola Q with HSDPA and WiFi by Christmas? Reply with quote

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/...fi-by-christmas

"QWERTY smartphone fans on GSM carriers, cautiously rejoice: our Italian is admittedly a little rusty, but Italy's Cellulare Magazine seems to be reporting some unconfirmed, wildly speculative deets regarding the forthcoming GSM Q. Not only might it drop in time for Christmas (in Europe, anyway), but when it does, it might be bearing gifts of WiFi and HSDPA for its patient buyers -- up from the previously reported plain-vanilla UMTS -- while maintaining the same lovely form factor. They're also reporting the device will rock quad-band GSM, meaning anxious North Americans should have little trouble jumping the gun if it launches in Europe first. Of course, if the HSDPA support doesn't come in all the right bands, the US will get left out of the 3G fun and we might just end up with another E61 / E62 debacle, but let's not get ahead of ourselves"

This is just a rumor and I for one hope there is a little bit of truth to it. From all of the reviews I have read, this appears to be a solid device. The main two things that everyone can agree this device lacks happens to be WiFi and a GSM/UTMS version for the rest of the world. So the good news is we might see one as early as Christmas. The bad news Christmas is so far away Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mpaquette
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update that includes MSFP would be nice. I was ready to give one these a try until I found out that wasn't included. Now that I've been using push email for a few weeks, I don't think I can use a device without it.
The PocketTV Team
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> everyone can agree this device lacks happens to be WiFi

i don't think the mobile carriers would agree with that!

mobile carriers (i.e. cell phone companies) hate WiFi!

that's because WiFi allows people to call for free of for just 2 cents per minute (including long distance and international), with Voip software such as Skype.

so they do everything they can to discourage manufacturers to put WiFi in their devices.

unfortunately WiFi is almost un-avoidable for data-oriented devices (like Pocket PC), and the Motorola Q, since it has a keyboard, is quite data-oriented, so WiFi would be nice.

By the way, i wrote a small review of the motorola Q ...
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PocketTV Team wrote:

Really? Seems T-Mobile didn't get the memo. They not only sell devices with WiFi, they have one of the most reasonable data plans around. $30 for unlimited GPRS/EDGE and unlimited T-Mobile HotSpot access. That's of course if you get a minimal voice plan ($30), but hey, it's a phone. You can get just the data plan for $50, but that comes with Pay a$ you go voice. 50 minutes of voice and you ate up the $10 savings.

PS wouldn't bother me in the least to not have WiFi in a device that has decent data capability. Some form of 3G would be nice, but even EDGE isn't all that slow. It's certainly acceptable for e-mail. As long as I stay at web sites where the webmaster understands and supports mobile browsers, the web isn't bad either. The availability of WiFi is improving, but still way behind the coverage of the cell system.
The PocketTV Team
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven wrote:
The PocketTV Team wrote:

Really? Seems T-Mobile didn't get the memo. They not only sell devices with WiFi, they have one of the most reasonable data plans around. $30 for unlimited GPRS/EDGE and unlimited T-Mobile HotSpot access. That's of course if you get a minimal voice plan ($30), but hey, it's a phone. You can get just the data plan for $50, but that comes with Pay a$ you go voice. 50 minutes of voice and you ate up the $10 savings.

yes, T-mobile loves data-oriented devices, such as Pocket PC Phones.

i suppose that they found ways to get revenues even though their customers can call long-distance and international for almost free using Voip.

but i don't think all other mobile carriers really consider WiFi as something important to have on their cellphones, from a business point.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the world of WM based smartphones about 2 years ago but this device may be the one to bring me back. I am concerned about reports of poor battery life with the Q. Can you comment on that?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
I left the world of WM based smartphones about 2 years ago but this device may be the one to bring me back. I am concerned about reports of poor battery life with the Q. Can you comment on that?

So far, the battery had been pretty good. I've been running for a full 24 hours with the device set to check email every hour and the battery life still showing full.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
byteme wrote:

So far, the battery had been pretty good. I've been running for a full 24 hours with the device set to check email every hour and the battery life still showing full.

Talk time in that 24hr period?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
Talk time in that 24hr period?

Not sure. I haven't really kept track. Maybe 60-90 minutes? Just guessing.
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Sweet. Finally a device I might be able to use! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: