FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
what do i do to get the ringtone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Tips 'n Tricks Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
804DRE
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: what do i do to get the ringtone? Reply with quote

where and how do i get the ringtones for my sda and how do i get them on my phone? i need step by step instrutions cause im a novice tekkie.
TopDog
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can copy any *.wma file to My Documents and use it.

I think you can use Mp3 too, but not to sure about that one... I just use small *.wma files.

Google on "wma sounds" or something like that and you'll probably find lots of fun.
804DRE
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: YOUR NOT HELPING ME!! Reply with quote

I NEED STEP BY STRP INSTRUCTIONS!! WHERE TO GO WHAT TO DO FROM START TO FINISH. IF ANYONE CAN UNDERSTAND ME AND HELP ME WITH THIS THEN IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouting does little for your case. We may assume too much when we believe someone that can use a PC to get on the internet and find a specialized forum and has some need for a Smartphone can follow directions like 'copy the files to the Windows or My Documents directory'. That's a fairly common task when working with PCs.

If that is not the case, OK, ask nicely and more detail will be forthcoming. Since we are obviously starting with limited knowledge, we will do this step by step.

1) have you loaded ActiveSync on your PC and established a partnership with the phone? The instructions for this came with it.

2) with the phone connected, and ActiveSync (AS) available, click the Explore button on AS. A window will open that shows items on your phone. You can drop music files into this window that would be accessible to the ringtone selector. It would be neater to put them in the sounds directory. Details follow.

In the window you have open double click the My Windows Mobile Based Device icon. That will take you to the root of your phone. (the My Documents you see there is where you were). Open Application Data and then open Sounds. Drop your sounds into that folder.

3) close everything out and use the settings of your phone to go change the ring tone. The items you added should be in the list. You may have to turn the phone off and back on for them to show up.

YOU'RE WELCOME
804DRE
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: i synched the phone already. Reply with quote

now i need to know how to get the actual tone to place in the folder. someone said they have to be a certain format and i want a clip like a regular tone from jamster. your getting me there and i appreciate your help. im ready to send you my phone for you to jazz it up.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: i synched the phone already. Reply with quote

804DRE wrote:
now i need to know how to get the actual tone to place in the folder. someone said they have to be a certain format and i want a clip like a regular tone from jamster. your getting me there and i appreciate your help. im ready to send you my phone for you to jazz it up.
Half the phun is doing that yourself. I answered your PM, but the deal is you need it in either mp3 or wma. If you have music in some other format, and it is not protected (Digital Rights Management, DRM) you can actually have Media Player convert it for you as it puts it on your phone. Learn how, 'help' is good, to sync tunes from your desktop media player to the phone. It will wind up on the phone in wma. MP converts for you as it syncs. Then you could copy, or move the file to the sound directory.

You are going to annoy people with your ring tones, aren't you? Wink
804DRE
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: still cant do this! Reply with quote

i have a very low patience level and this is drivinng me crazy! ive been trying to do this and i cant. i cant work the editing software i cant get my file to the editing software i need help! give me a link for a good editing program that a novice could use and tell me how i get the song to it and get thing thing going. i know im being worrysome but i really dont know what else to be. if i knew this would be so hard then i would have stayed with the regular promotion phone! i wish my phone would work with jamster!
aximilation
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, slow down turbo...things get frustruating, just don't take it out on the nice people who run this stuff, they are doing a great service here. If you have trouble with something, ask nicely and someone will either steer you the rigth direction, or lead you through things on step at a time.

I am going to do this myself, so if you tell me what software you are going to use, I will get it and make a walkthough for you.

I need the name and maybe link of the free software which will take mp3s and cut them up for ringtones.

Graham - Webmaster: http://aximilation.com
804DRE
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: RINGTONE FOR MY SDA Reply with quote

still waiting for help with how to get those ringtones so somme one any one send me help. i need software info (free) and instrucctions on using it to chop up the tone to put on my phone. all help is greatly apreciated. thanks
aximilation
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just did it myself, so here's some help.
Just a friendly note, no offense meant, I wanted to let you know that your postings could seem a bit....abrupt to some people. Your short comments and word choice lends the air of someone demanding services from someone, which is not the case here. I'm sure you don't mean to and I know it's frustruating, but remember that the nicer you ask, the more likely someone is to *volunteer* their time to help you. Anyways, that's a personal note, here's the help you requested:

1. Download and install Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

2. Download this file and place it in the Audacity folder:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/d....shtml?lame_enc
(You will need to unzip this file) This file is to create your tones as mp3s, they are compressed to be smaller than wav files by ~ a factor of ten.

3. Open Audacity

4. Click Project > Import audio - OR push Ctrl+I

5. Select the file you wish to cut up for a ringtone.

6. Use the mouse to select the part of the song you want to use. (play the song and find the right part)

7. Once you have selected the section you like, play it to make sure you like the section.

8. Click Edit> Trim OR Ctrl+T. This cuts off the rest of the file.
8b. If you want to make any of the song fade out or in, select the part in question and selecte Effect > Cross fade out (or in).

9. Click File>Export Selection as MP3. Audacity will ask you for the file you downloaded as the LAME encoder. Locate it in the Audacity folder where you placed it.

10. Save your MP3 file somewhere temporary.

11. Connect your phone, open ActiveSync, and click the Explore Device button.

12. Navigate to My Windows Mobile Based Device / Applacation Data / Sounds

13. Copy your newly created ringtone into this folder. The filename you use is the title in the sounds selector.

Note, use small files as much as possible, even if you use a mini SD card for storage because audio files can quickly take up your memory.

Congrats, you made your custom ringtone.

Enjoy and don't forget to thank all the other great people at SPT.

Graham - Webmaster: http://aximilation.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Tips 'n Tricks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: