FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Motorola Q users
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Motorola-based Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Motorola Q users Reply with quote

I've been away from a MS based smartphone for 2 years and I'm considering the Motorola Q. I've played with one quite a bit at a local Verizon store but you can only learn so much from this so I need input from current users of this device. What do you really love about it? What do you really dislike? Have you found/noticed quirks with the device? Can it get through a day on a single charge? (assuming light data use)
I've read some disturbing posts on other boards about this device costing the user considerably more in monthly data charges. Have you experienced this? If you have what is causing it? Thanks all.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life is the single biggest flaw with the Q: it will get you thru the day but it is a close call. If you do a lot of net surfing or mail downloads or watch some video, then the battery goes down real quick. But since you mentioned light data use, you will be fine.

I liked the device a lot. It is really small, pocketable, it is the first phone with keyboard that I can hold next to my ears while answering a call and not look like a geek.

I can't comment on the data charges.

Overall it is the Smartphone to end your wait, if you can afford Verizon's charges.

EV-DO rocks and makes this device perfect for surfing, emailing, watching streaming videos. It will change the way you use your phone.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kris. Guess no one else has this smartphone here. You said "liked" as in past tense. Do you still have the Q? EV-DO hasn't rolled out yet in my location (but it's coming real soon Wink ) I think I have determined what's causing the high data charges for some people. They haven't disabled PUSH and there isn't an 'auto disconnect' option for the data connection. Reading other sites this little device has become a love/hate thing but when I read rants about it not having a touch screen . . . makes you wonder whether the device is really that bad or the people using them are clueless. Think I'll take the plunge Very Happy
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one. I use the extended battery and have no issues with battery life because of that. I have the unlimited data plan for 39USD a month. Like Kris said EV-DO is very fast and a pleasure to surf with, The Q is a winner hands down. Smile

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
You said "liked" as in past tense.

Oh thats because I had a review unit with me for a few weeks. Now its gone bye bye. Sad I do miss it. Waiting for the GSM/UMTS version for my Cingular network now. Wink

byteme wrote:
Reading other sites this little device has become a love/hate thing but when I read rants about it not having a touch screen . . . makes you wonder whether the device is really that bad or the people using them are clueless. Think I'll take the plunge Very Happy

I will say they are clueless. Hardcore Palm users and Pocket PC users swear by the stylus. To me stylus is something of an annoyance. Why bother about taking the stylus out to tap on the screen, when the keyboard & scroll wheel & dedicated button can do the trick and make the device a single hand use device. Stylus forces you to use two hands and makes you slow. That's my take. Plus touch screen means its additonal maintenance. Have to protect the screen. With the Q I could slide it into my pant or jeans pocket (I dont wear super tight jeans Wink). I can pull it and without disturbing my other hand which is still holding the coffee cup, check email, perform some quick actions.... Cool
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Q, I think, the only people allowed to rant are those who own BlackBerry. There are some things that BlackBerry is still good at, hopefully Q and Windows Mobile will get good at those as well.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
There are some things that BlackBerry is still good at, hopefully Q and Windows Mobile will get good at those as well.

Such as?
scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine. What do I like the most? The slim profile that slides easily into my pocket. The screen is very nice. The speakerphone is excellent--very loud and clear.

What don't I like so much? The keyboard is not the best. It feels a little flimsy and sometimes misses key presses. Battery life is not good, but it wasn't any better on my Samsung i730 or my Samsung i600.

I too prefer not having a stylus--I used my finger nail most of the time. I put a Boxwave screen protector on my Q and have no worries about the screen while in my pocket.

I think the data disconnect issue is not an issue at all. I believe the connection goes dormant and just stays open to facilitate faster connections later. I cant imagine getting one of these devices without an unlimited data plan, but I guess you might if you want a PDA and phone in the same device, but are not necessarily interested in email, Web, and various downloads like news.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses Smile Just won an auction for a Q so I will soon be a user.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
Thanks for the responses Smile Just won an auction for a Q so I will soon be a user.

Welcome to the party! Smile

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Motorola-based Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: