FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Synchronizing multiple devices - Help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Tips 'n Tricks Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connie
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Synchronizing multiple devices - Help! Reply with quote

My husband and I just upgraded to Motorola Q's from our previous Palm-based phone/PDA's. One of the things we did on our old phones was to keep our family schedule on one of our computers and then we synced both of the Palm devices to that computer. That way we could add and delete appointments and then sync them every couple days to know what each of us was up to.

I've been trying to figure out how to do that on the Q. Motorola says it can't be done with Activesync - though you can sync one device to two different computers, you can't sync more than one device to a single computer.

Does anyone know if this can be done and if so, please provide details on how! I'm desperate!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync all three of my devices to 2 PC's and Exchange Server. I have no idea why anyone would say it can't be done. Confused

Have you tried to do it and had problems?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done.

I sync 2125, MPx220, iPaq 2210, SP3i (and for a short time Q also) with the same computer running the same ActiveSync.

Have you tried it? Or decided to call the support first? Just do it. Smile
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW welcome to Smartphone Thoughts. Smile

And I hope you are running the latest version of ActiveSync, i.e. 4.2. Download it from Microsoft.com. It fixes some bugs, last thing you want with the new Qs is a buggy software to reduce the fun. FYI even the older versions of ActiveSync supported multiple device sync. Wink
Connie
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: I have tried it! Reply with quote

I have tried it, and can't get it to work. The first one sync's fine, but then when I sync the second one, it tells me I have to add the second PC to it (my husband also syncs his with his PC). That works, but then when I go back to sync the first one, it says I need to delete the PC it synced with and then I need to totally re-add it. And then when I try to do the second device again, it makes me also delete the PC and add it again!

I think everytime I delete and add the PC, it does a full sync and I've been loosing some appointments.

And as I said earlier...Motorola tells me it can't be done...and we all know that tech support is always right Confused

If someone could explain how, or point me to a web page with instructions, I would be grateful!

And yes, I did just update to 4.2.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried syncing the two devices of the same type with a single computer. But that is the only difference between what you are trying to do and what we do all the time. And I dont think it should make much of a difference.

BTW..when you establish partnership do they device have different names or same?

I would delete partnerships on the ActiveSync on the computer and the Qs and start again.
Connie
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Try again... Reply with quote

OK...so I took my first phone,wm_conniecl and deleted the relationship with my PC and then synced. Got a number of duplicate appts and contacts, but cleaned that up and had it cleaned up.

Then I did the same with the second phone. Since my husband syncs with his PC too, I had to add another computer which I called Connie's Computer. Once I did that I synced and had no problem there.

The problem comes when I try to sync the first phone again. It connects, retrieves settings and then sends me to the Smartphone Sync Setup Wizard where it wants to make me add a second computer. But it's the same one! If I just go ahead and add it, then if I do the second phone again, I have to delete the sync I had and re-add it.

This isn't the way it's supposed to work is it?
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the partnership name for the second phone, I noticed that the first one is wm_conniecl, does the second have the same name?

I am stumped! It is not supposed to behave like this. Have to do some research.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
I have never tried syncing the two devices of the same type with a single computer.

Connie, is this right? Are both devices a Motorola Q? Not that it should matter, I'm just trying to understand the situation.

I sync'ed both of my typhoon's with the same computer. One was a 5600 and the other was a C500. I have two different SP5m's here with me right now. I'll try connecting them and seeing what happens.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I just synced device A for the first time with this machine. I setup a complete partnership and selected contacts and calendar only. Once the sync was done, I removed that and connected my other SP5m, device B, and let the normal process take it's course. No problems, so I then disconnected and went back to Device A - worked like a charm. So, you shouldn't be having a problem. Maybe it's time to wipe out all the partnerships and start fresh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Tips 'n Tricks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: