FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
HELP! Start Menu Lost!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Tips 'n Tricks Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCPH
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: HELP! Start Menu Lost! Reply with quote

I was playing with several new home screens. It looks like one has clobbered my Registry, as I now have no Start Menu. I currently have set the home to Windows Default, and when I press the Start softkey, the same home screen stays visible, the icons and etc do not appear. I cannot run any programs. If I mess with the joystick, eventually I will get Contacts to show.

How can I fix this? I can successfully use Remote Registry Editor. I can ActiveSync copy files and I am able to run settings.exe through hacking my install of xBar. I have used settings.exe to uninstall everything that might mess with the Start Menu, and also to change the theme to default. But I am really stuck without Start. Sad

Help?

Thanks.
SCPH
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Resolved! Reply with quote

After more desperate searching, I found that one of the theme installers overwrote the Registry value that specified the background screen - it was \Application Data\Home\startmenubg.bmp and the app changed it to it's own .gif. When I removed the theme, the Registry setting (including many others) was not reverted.

The theme was "Vista Aurora". I recommend being careful with that theme and the Cingular 2125...
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's always a good feature for a theme - destroy the start menu! Rolling Eyes I'm guessing the author didn't test this theme before they released it.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who made the theme?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Tips 'n Tricks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: