FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Battery life on Moto Q
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Motorola-based Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2rvr
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Battery life on Moto Q Reply with quote

I didn't expect great battery life out of the Moto Q when I bought it, but what I'm seeing is just terrible. Verizon claims the Moto Q has, Talk Time: up to 234 mins (1130 mAh), StandBy Time: up to 212 hrs. (1130 mAh).

Except, in a 12 hour day my Q completely drains 2 times. With very minimal usage, maybe 5 minutes using the web browser, checking email 2-3 times and talking for 10 minutes or so. Is anyone else experiencing such a terrible battery life with their Q?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something is chewing up your power. You might want to try turning down your backlight settings, and reducing the frequency you poll for new email.

Also, things to consider:

- have you installed any programs that may still be running in the background and wasting CPU time. Most applications know better, but some don't and if they are still running and using system cycles, it would impact your battery life.

- When you say the battery is drained, how are you coming to this conclusion? Is the device warning you of low battery? or is the indicator down to one bar? You'll be surprised to know that 1 bar on the battery is still around 40% power.
2rvr
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use outlook for email, and have it set to never check for messages. It should only update when I manually click send/receive. I just checked the task manager and I had a pocket msn server running, that may have been a problem. Other than that, only ClientShell.exe, Settings, Tasks and the account name on my outlook is running according to the task manager.

When I say the battery is drained, it's definately drained. Everytime, it gives me the low battery warning, and many times shuts off before I get a chance to plug it in. But it does get fully charged very quickly, maybe an hour or so.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSN shouldn't be an issue. That's just your browser sitting open in the background. No biggie.

2rvr wrote:
When I say the battery is drained, it's definately drained. Everytime, it gives me the low battery warning, and many times shuts off before I get a chance to plug it in. But it does get fully charged very quickly, maybe an hour or so.

Hrm, that doesn't sound right. Either the battery is no good, or it's not charging it correctly. Plug it in and leave it for a good couple hours - or overnight if possible. Then see how long the charge lasts. If you don't see an increase, then I would say something is wrong with the battery/device.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the standard battery run down pretty quick. That is why I recommend the extended battery. It doesn't make the Q that much fatter either. When I use the standard battery I am usually around AC outlets and pug it in whenever possible. The other day I left it unplugged for most of the day and with push turned on, in about 8 hours I was down to 25% battery left. Not so good.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
onlydarksets
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
I've seen the standard battery run down pretty quick. That is why I recommend the extended battery. It doesn't make the Q that much fatter either. When I use the standard battery I am usually around AC outlets and pug it in whenever possible. The other day I left it unplugged for most of the day and with push turned on, in about 8 hours I was down to 25% battery left. Not so good.

The extended battery actually makes it a little easier to hold. I found the standard battery provided no contours to grip.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would you guys say his expereince is normal for the standard battery? or should he be getting a little more out of it?
onlydarksets
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
But would you guys say his expereince is normal for the standard battery? or should he be getting a little more out of it?

Unfortunately, this is the norm for most people. I can't get through the day on the extended battery without at least going to 2 bars. I would say my total standby (i.e., no automatic checking email, no usage) time is closer to 60-80 hours.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

From my limited experience using the battery all day I can see that being the norm.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Crazy alright... so it's worse than I thought.

onlydarksets - don't be fooled by two bars in the battery indicator. That's still a fair amount of charge. When the device drops to 1 bar, you still have 40% remaining.

Anyway, so I was mistaken and it's worse than I had expected. sorry. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Motorola-based Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: