FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Auto Complete Text Input on the Motorola Q
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's cool. We need predictive text on the phones without a QWERTY keypad. I mean, it's cool on the Q, but why can't phones that just have a dialpad be better at predicting what you're typing?

Anyway, it's pretty cool how if remembers words you type.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chandler wrote:
Hey, this is great. Am I missing the rest of the review? Very Happy

There's more coming. Wink Just thought we needed to highlight a couple features here and there.
MitchellO
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the one that came with my M600i is pretty good too.

Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get used to how it works, it is a great time saver. Why this is lacking on a regular dial pad phone is bizarre to me.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Kirkaiya
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... I'm not sure what version of the HTC StrTrk you all have played with, but the text-input is part of why I think composing messages on my phone is pretty easy!

Ooops - I goofed in original post, I have edited below

In fact - the predictive-entry on my phone (Dopod S300 variant of HTC StrTrk) goes one step more: It auto-inserts the next word for you based on what word you put in the last time you typed whatever you're typing.

It also shows the combinations of words that short sequences of number-punching provide, such as: if I type "263", the phone will show the possible words that it knows in a drop-down ("and", "cod", "2nd", etc). It shows this automatically - they show up without my having to use the down-direction-button, although I use that to pick one if I want, or the right-arrow to pick the 1st in the list.

The word-guessing part works like this: If the last time I typed the word "Predictive", I followed it with the word "text", then this time, after typing "Predictive", then pushing the right-direction-button, the phone will pop the word "text" (dotted-underlined) to the right.

If I want it, i just right-arrow again, and the phone will guess the next word again, and so on. If I don't want it, I just continue typing, and it disappears.

Maybe I should do some screen-shots of this - I thought this was part of the standard WM5 text-entry experience (or maybe it is, and I'm blabbering on uselessly...)

The word-guessing can be embarrasing too, of course - I sent an SMS to my wife calling saying "hello sexy!", and then the next day was showing off my phone to someone, and typed "hello" and the word "sexy" popped up Embarassed

Last edited by Kirkaiya on Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
MitchellO
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I had that on my imate SP5.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkaiya wrote:
It also shows the combinations of words that short sequences of number-punching provide, such as: if I type "263", the phone will show the possible words that it knows in a drop-down ("and", "cod", "2nd", etc). It shows this automatically - they show up without my having to use the down-direction-button, although I use that to pick one if I want, or the right-arrow to pick the 1st in the list.

Right, the major difference is that it won't guess the current word you're spelling until you have entered all the letters. If I only enter "Smartp" the phone doesn't jump up and say "Smartphone". It just gives you all the possible words that can be spelled with "76278"

You really should check out what the Q does. It's pretty slick.
Kirkaiya
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Kirkaiya wrote:

Right, the major difference is that it won't guess the current word you're spelling until you have entered all the letters. If I only enter "Smartp" the phone doesn't jump up and say "Smartphone". It just gives you all the possible words that can be spelled with "76278"

You really should check out what the Q does. It's pretty slick.

Oh - I do know the feature you're referring to (not to mention the screenshots on page 1 were illustrative), because my Axia A108, which ran Windows CE 4.2 (aka, "CE .net") had the same predictive text function (it would actually guess entire words). But I think that's because I generally used the stylus (the A108 has a 2.2" QVGA touchscreen) and the soft-board to enter text.

Maybe Microsoft should tweak the text input for WM6 so that it shows the possible matches for the numbers entered so far, and if there are none (or only 1, say), then show possible completion words in the drop-down (as on the Moto Q). Hmm.... or somebody could release a ROM upgrade for the HTC StrTrk, say... ahem...
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love hate relationship with the iTAP. Back when I was using the MPx220, it drove me nuts. I liked the way it predicted the text and the words, a much better approach compared to T9. But it needs some fine tuning.

Overall I agree with Jerry, in the time between you type the last letter and click the send button, you can't tell what that word would end up being. So cool down and review the email.

BTW on the 2125, it auto predicts the next word. I send text messages like "leaving work now" or "still stuck", and the 2125 recognizes that and fills in the next word if I type leaving or still. Wink
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
BTW on the 2125, it auto predicts the next word. I send text messages like "leaving work now" or "still stuck", and the 2125 recognizes that and fills in the next word if I type leaving or still. Wink

Glad you brought that up. That is a slick feature. What we need is a combination of both. What the Q and the 2125 has.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> ARTICLE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: