FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Improve Performance of your Mobile Internet Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> CONTENT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Improve Performance of your Mobile Internet Connection Reply with quote

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=244497

Paul, over at MoDaCo, has made an interesting when it comes to the performance of your mobile internet connection. It appears that a simple change to you DNS server entries can cause a significant speed increase on your mobile device. DNS Servers are used to convert that URL into a string of numbers that the computer can use to help locate the site you're after (that's the simple explanation. Wink ) For whatever reason, the carriers servers are poorly configured or overloaded and therefore are pretty slow to respond.

You can change the DNS settings by pressing Start / Connections / GPRS. Then highlight your carriers connection and then press Menu / Edit. Scroll down and enter a new value for both the Primary and Secondary servers settings. Be sure to write down the old settings so you can switch it back if need be.

Paul lists a couple free DNS servers that you can use. However, they are located in Germany and Belgium. You should try and find a server that is close to you or your carrier to help minimize the response time. OpenNIC has a number of servers located around the world that you can select from. Be sure to pick from the Tier 2 list. As well, OpenDNS has servers available for you to use.

Just a small aside to all this; The same can be said for your desktop. Changing the DNS servers to something faster and more reliable can make a significant improvement in the time it takes to locate a site. Check out the "what we do" section on OpenDNS for more info.

I've changed my settings to the OpenDNS servers and it appears to be significantly faster when locating a site. Try it out and let us know what you find.
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always of the conclusion that my problems with accessing the Internet with my SDA here in San Francisco was due to the spotty coverage. Even when I was getting a good signal, I just assumed that the GPRS/EDGE coverage was poor.

Maybe it is the T-Mobile DNS servers?

Anyway, I changed my DNS to ones listed at OpenNIC and so far so good. I will need a day or two to see if it has any real effect but it certainly does not seem to have a negative effect.
ARW
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Cingular and used the i-mate cab configuration for my settings and there are no addresses for either Primary, secondary DNS or IP Address. The only info filled in is Access point: wap.cingular and Username:[email protected] and a password.

Any ideas if this needs to be left in place and I just need to throw in some DNS addresses?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARW wrote:
I'm using Cingular and used the i-mate cab configuration for my settings and there are no addresses for either Primary, secondary DNS or IP Address. The only info filled in is Access point: wap.cingular and Username:[email protected] and a password.

Any ideas if this needs to be left in place and I just need to throw in some DNS addresses?

If the DNS fields are blank then they are being assigned automatically by the carrier when your device connects. If you put something in, the addresses being assigned will no longer take effect and the device will use the ones you entered instead. There is no need to change any other information on that page.
bshpmark
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the DNS Servers at OpenDNS on my SDA and did not really notice any difference. I went to OpenNIC and used the following two:

ns10.opennic.glue (.indy; Dallas, TX, US ) - 66.227.42.140
ns11.opennic.glue (.indy; Dallas, TX, US ) - 66.227.42.149

I did notice an improvement using these two servers.

Mark
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess it is the spotty T-Mobile service after all Mad

It only took my second attempt, using the new DNS servers, to connect and even with a full signal showing on my SDA, I was unable to access any page on the Internet.
expediter
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the OpenDNS servers are working great. Previously every time I changed a page I was waiting while it said "Locating" before opening the page. Now it's almost instantaneous. Much snappier Very Happy
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting in my own DNS servers seems to have made a noticeable difference. I have no hard evidence, just by gut.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't any benefit on my 2125 on Cingular. I tried both the OpenDNS and couple of servers from OpenNIC.

It still stays stuck at "Locating..." for a long time. For me it is a recent problem. Not sure if it started when I updated to the MSFP based firmware.

I don't remember the Locating during my early 2125 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> CONTENT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: