FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
SMT 5600

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Other Microsoft Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
questionfear
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: SMT 5600 Reply with quote

Hello all-

I am a windows mobile newbie, having been firmly ensconced in the palm world for the last several years. However, more and more I am watching what comes out of the palm world and just feel like it has hit a dead end. And despite being a mac person and knowing the headaches that can come with that, I am being lured to the siren's song of winmob. To that end, there's an opportunity to possibly buy an audiovox 5600 off someone on another forum, and I had a few questions I thought I'd check with you guys prior to committing (I've lurked for a while here, and read up quite a bit-this website is a great resource!)

1) What would be a fair price to pay? he's looking for ~135. It seems almost too good to be true, but is that fair for an older phone?
2) In the posting he said it had WinMob 5. Was that phone upgradable to that or is that a mistake?
3) Would you go for the audiovox or argue cingular into an upgrade with a 3125 (the other possibility that's crossed my mind. I have another 9 months on my contract, but I was thinking it probably wouldn't be impossible to argue for an upgrade given that I'd be adding a large data plan in addition to accepting a 2yr extension on my contract.)

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer!
AdamaDBrown
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SMT 5600 Reply with quote

questionfear wrote:
1) What would be a fair price to pay? he's looking for ~135. It seems almost too good to be true, but is that fair for an older phone?

Unless he's including extras, I'd say closer to $100. The 5600 is at least a couple years old, and hardware devalues fast in the WM world.

Quote:
2) In the posting he said it had WinMob 5. Was that phone upgradable to that or is that a mistake?

There was no formal upgrade available, but there was a leaked beta version that could work. I don't know how well it works, though.

Quote:
3) Would you go for the audiovox or argue cingular into an upgrade with a 3125 (the other possibility that's crossed my mind. I have another 9 months on my contract, but I was thinking it probably wouldn't be impossible to argue for an upgrade given that I'd be adding a large data plan in addition to accepting a 2yr extension on my contract.)

Personally, I'd go with the 3125. It has a QVGA screen, which is a big improvement over the 176 x 220 display of the 5600. The 3125 has EDGE, so internet connections would be around 3x faster. And it has native WM5. All that said, you'd probably be paying a lot more for the 3125 than for the 5600. Have you considered the 2125? It's basically the hardware of the 3125 in the form factor of the 5600. It's been out for awhile, so it should be cheap.
questionfear
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, I meant 2125. Too many simlar numeric names running around.

Thanks for the quick reply...it definitely addressed a lot of my concerns. I think I'm going to take the route of arguing with cingular.

Thanks!
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I would start with Cingular and see if they can cut you a deal on the 2125 or wait a little and get the 3125. If the're not going to help, then I would look at getting an older device. Cool
ppatt
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez just a few weeks ago you could get the 3125 for free with a 2 yr. cingular commitment on Amazon. Why pay anything?

I own an SMT5600 and I love it but there are two models one that runs only on the old AT&T Network and the other that runs on the actual Cingular network. I am told it has something to do with the ROM.

My SMT5600 runs only on old AT&T network and my voice-messages show up days late sometimes. What a hassle. I drive through areas with good reception and still they do not appear. I had to explain this to all my friends....which sort of defeats the purpose of having a cell...well, I can always dial out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Other Microsoft Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: