FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Looking to purchase a smartphone, should I wait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Verizon Wireless Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmichaelson86
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Looking to purchase a smartphone, should I wait? Reply with quote

I am using verizon as my carrier, I cannot change carriers. I am looking for a smartphone. I am a student, and I would be using the smartphone mainly to keep track of day to day activities (calendar, etc). Wifi would be nice, being that I don't really want to drop $50/mo on wireless internet capabilities if I dont have to. I would like to be able to check email.

A text friendly, one handed dial phone is a must. And I believe I can view/edit MS word files? This would also be great.

I have been looking at the Palm Treo 700p...

Here is my question: is this the phone for me? It doesn't have WIFI, this is a bummer.

I am in no immediate hurry to buy a smartphone. Is there anything looming on the horizon that I should wait for? If there is something better (coming out within 8 months) that will come out for Verizon, I think I would wait.

What are your ideas?

I really appreciate it,
Ryan
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to purchase a smartphone, should I wait? Reply with quote

Does any Verizon phone support WiFi? The only carrier that seems to be remotely WiFi friendly is T-Mobile. Isn't Verizon one of the more expensive carriers in the US? I've seen people talking about data packages on T-Mo / Cingular for $20 or less a month.

If editing Word documents is a requirement, then you're pretty much stucl with a Pocket PC device. Windows Mobile Smartphones don't support editing of Office documents. There is also no viewer at this time. You'll need to get some third party software for document support on the Smartphone.

I haven't heard of any other upcoming devices on Verizon. However, the holiday season is coming up fast and there's usually something released around the mid November timeframe.

I hope some of this information helps you. Confused
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When contemplating the purchase of electronic devices, one should always wait for the next big thing. It is a given that whatever you buy will drop in price drastically within three months of your purchasing it and the newer/better version will be out in 6 months. Wink

Seriously I can't add much to what Mike said, except decide what you need today, and get what meets the need. What I said above is tongue in cheeek, but pretty accurate. If there are things today that don't quite meet your needs, then you have to make the tough decision of whether you can live with what is out there, or you should wait, in case the next wave adds what you are missing, if you can wait.
scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verizon only has one WM Smartphone and it's the Motorola Q. Although you cannot edit MS Office documents on the Q, you can view them. It appears there is some implementation of the Picsel browser (not sure), but you can open a .doc or .xls file attached to an email, for viewing. No WiFi, so you will need a data package. There are voice/data bundles available now that include a somewhat reduced price on data.

There is only one VZW device I know of that has WiFi and it's the Samsung i730. This is a Pocket PC device, so you can edit Office documents as well as view them. This is an awesome device if you don't mind a little extra bulk. The WiFi is a little quirky, but it usually works very well.

As for one-handed use, the Q will be a better choice. If you need to keep track of your calendar, contacts, tasks, email and occasional viewing of documents, the Q is sufficient.
If you need WiFi and have to edit Office documents, your only real choice is the i730. However, you'll need the other hand occasionally.

Both are very nice devices--go to a VZW store and play around with them and you'll probably fall in love with both. Smile
rmichaelson86
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottb wrote:
Verizon only has one WM Smartphone and it's the Motorola Q. Although you cannot edit MS Office documents on the Q, you can view them. It appears there is some implementation of the Picsel browser (not sure), but you can open a .doc or .xls file attached to an email, for viewing. No WiFi, so you will need a data package. There are voice/data bundles available now that include a somewhat reduced price on data.

There is only one VZW device I know of that has WiFi and it's the Samsung i730. This is a Pocket PC device, so you can edit Office documents as well as view them. This is an awesome device if you don't mind a little extra bulk. The WiFi is a little quirky, but it usually works very well.

As for one-handed use, the Q will be a better choice. If you need to keep track of your calendar, contacts, tasks, email and occasional viewing of documents, the Q is sufficient.
If you need WiFi and have to edit Office documents, your only real choice is the i730. However, you'll need the other hand occasionally.

Both are very nice devices--go to a VZW store and play around with them and you'll probably fall in love with both. Smile

I believe the Treo can also view MS office documents? I'm looking at the Treo 700W/WX... I believe I can add a Wifi card also, but I'm not sure how well this would work.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but the Treo is not a Smartphone (as in Windows Mobile Smartphone). It's a Pocket PC Phone Edition device. Palm markets the device as a "smartphone" but it's not a Windows Mobile branded one. Pretty confusing, eh?
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmichaelson86 wrote:
I believe the Treo can also view MS office documents? I'm looking at the Treo 700W/WX... I believe I can add a Wifi card also, but I'm not sure how well this would work.

With the edition of Clearvue, even Smartphones can view Office Documents. Not salient to the Trea, which we have established is a PPC Phone Edition, but a point to keep in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Verizon Wireless All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: