FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Who Needs WiFi?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Really Need WiFi?
Yes it is an absolute must!
47%
 47%  [ 207 ]
I can take it or leave it.
38%
 38%  [ 167 ]
Never use it.
14%
 14%  [ 65 ]
What the heck is WiFi?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 439

crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't buy a device without wifi. We have wifi at work and at home and I use it often. Looking forward to the excalibur/dash specifically because it's a qwerty keyboard with wifi.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:

Great point. I wonder how many fit into this category.

What's the likelyhood that at work or home, the smartphone is your only internet option? I love my Q but I'll take my Macbook Pro over it everyday for browsing.
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cromdubh wrote:
I would miss my wifi....coming in from work very early in the morning its easier to pick up my email from my pda, without having to turn on my pc. Plus I use it for watching movies streamed over my home network....so no wifi...no buy

So the tiny screen of your smartphone is the preferred (only?) method of watching streamed video?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
cromdubh wrote:
I would miss my wifi....coming in from work very early in the morning its easier to pick up my email from my pda, without having to turn on my pc. Plus I use it for watching movies streamed over my home network....so no wifi...no buy

So the tiny screen of your smartphone is the preferred (only?) method of watching streamed video?

Actually, that is a good point. If I'm looking to use my slingBox, then WiFi is a great extra. I can do Edge, but it's just not as nice as the higher bandwidth available on WiFi. Installing SlingPlayer on the companies computers may get you in trouble. But running it on your phone is another thing altogether.
igreen
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a "must have" for me. In my previous job I used to travel to the far east on a regular basis. Skype saved me a fortune on calls back to the family in the US. FREE is a much better deal than the $1.29 per minute that T-Mobile wanted to charge me for international roaming.
qyv42
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
Jerry Raia wrote:

Great point. I wonder how many fit into this category.

What's the likelyhood that at work or home, the smartphone is your only internet option? I love my Q but I'll take my Macbook Pro over it everyday for browsing.

I do a lot of browsing and e-mail on my phone at home because it fits in my pocket. I never pull out my laptop and lug it around - way too much trouble for some quick work here and there. In fact, I'm doing this post at home, over WiFi, with my phone "searching...". Smile
alese
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's definatelly nice to have.
I do have WiFi both at home and at work, but I don't use it with my mobile devices nearly as much as I expected. Maybe it's the battery drain but I mauch rather use my notebook.

On the other hand, I still won't buy a new device without WiFi it's just too nice to have it handy.
Stinger
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think it's important but now T-Mobile offer unlimited data (HSDPA/UMTS/GPRS) for $12 per month in the UK. With unlimited HSDPA, I have no need for WiFi.
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinger wrote:
I used to think it's important but now T-Mobile offer unlimited data (HSDPA/UMTS/GPRS) for $12 per month in the UK. With unlimited HSDPA, I have no need for WiFi.

If I could get that kind of speed for that price I would definitely not need wifi. I do use the wifi on my phone everyday. I use it at work to check my email sites that my company blocks. I also use it when my wife and I go to bed. She puts in her "I Love Lucy" dvd and I surf on my phone. If that's not marital bliss, I don't know what is? Very Happy
AdamaDBrown
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HalM wrote:
WiFi isn't going to get your voice to your phone at home

VoIP.

Quote:
3G will be different frequences so hopefully they will improve data reception everywhere.

Unlikely. Frequencies get weaker in terms of range and penetration the higher they get. 3G is going to use 1700/2100. So it will probably have around the same range as a 1900 MHz tower like T-Mobile or Sprint.

Stinger; it would probably be less important to the rest of us, too, if only we had an option, any option, for 3G. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: