FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
To Push or not to Push
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have or want Push Email?
I have it and I love it!
48%
 48%  [ 179 ]
I have tried it and don't care for it.
4%
 4%  [ 18 ]
I don't have it yet and want it.
22%
 22%  [ 82 ]
I can take it or leave it.
12%
 12%  [ 46 ]
Never tried and don't want to.
9%
 9%  [ 36 ]
All of the above.
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 366

Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: To Push or not to Push Reply with quote

Last week I finally got Push Email working. I had to have my Exchange host, mailstreet, move my account to a server that had SP2 installed. I never really thought I would care about having Push Email. Now that I have had it for a week I find I really like it. What's funny also is that while I'm at my desk, my Q will tell me I have email before Outlook on my desktop even gets it. It also pushes everything in both directions. Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes are all kept in sync. For those of you that have joined the Push Party what are your thoughts? For those that haven't yet do you want it?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dash lives up to my expectations, I will have it soon. Can't believe Tmo didn't ever release a rom update to give me push on my SDA.
OSUKid7
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it for a few months now and love it. Hosted Exchange was one of the best purchases I've made in awhile. Sure I probably don't need it, but the convenience factor of always having the latest information when you need it, and not having to remember to sync my Smartphone is incredible. For something like email, that I use extensively every day, the cost is definitely worthwhile.

Audiovox SMT5600 -> Cingular 2125
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bshpmark
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I don't understand what all the hype about PUSH is. I have my email accounts on my SDA to check for new mail every few minutes. Sure, I don't always get emails the moment they are sent, but I do get them within a few minutes. Maybe if I had PUSH I sould really appreciate it. Can someone explain the benefits to me? Of course, if you do, the bug will probably bite me.

9 days to Dash.
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a lot of email, so having my Smartphone pinging at me every few minutes is a distraction, and more irritating than anything else. I set it to sync every 30 minutes, and that's enough for me.
sojourner753
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Dunn wrote:
I get a lot of email, so having my Smartphone pinging at me every few minutes is a distraction, and more irritating than anything else. I set it to sync every 30 minutes, and that's enough for me.

Same here. 30 minutes seems to be sufficient for me.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was of the same opinion as you both. Now that I actually have though I really like it. However my email volume is probably much less that yours. I can see how it would make you nuts.

Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the past couple days i have been getting a TON of email so im not to sure how i feel about it anymore Smile

if i was still working for cingular where i needed those emails ASAP, i would love it. but a lot of the emails can sit in my box for a couple hours
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
I was of the same opinion as you both. Now that I actually have though I really like it. However my email volume is probably much less that yours. I can see how it would make you nuts.

Well, what I do is to ignore it when appropriate. My phone buzzes for a different length of time for SMS or email as opposed to a phone call, so I can only pick up the device when necessary, without being distracted.

What I dislike about 30-minute sync intervals most is the latency. For example, if I'm on line at the post office or the bank, with push I can look at my email and see my exact current mailbox status. If, on the other hand, my phone last synced 25 minutes ago, I won't see the emails coming in since then. If anything, push helps with high email volumes in this case.

I actually use this low-latency aspect most when I leave home. I tend to go in late in the morning to avoid rush hour, but by having push, I can see if anything has cropped up, literally in a few seconds, and can make a phone call if necessary. That's faster than manually syncing.

In short, push rocks. Smile

--janak

p.s. Jerry, Exchange ActiveSync doesn't sync Notes. So no Notes push. Sad
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
p.s. Jerry, Exchange ActiveSync doesn't sync Notes. So no Notes push. Sad

Darn, that was the one thing I hadn't tried. I just figured it would since now even tasks sync over the air. Why do they do this to us? Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: