FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
To Push or not to Push
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have or want Push Email?
I have it and I love it!
48%
 48%  [ 179 ]
I have tried it and don't care for it.
4%
 4%  [ 18 ]
I don't have it yet and want it.
22%
 22%  [ 82 ]
I can take it or leave it.
12%
 12%  [ 46 ]
Never tried and don't want to.
9%
 9%  [ 36 ]
All of the above.
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 366

rlwoodruff
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: push mail Reply with quote

I have used push on my Q but I've removed my mail from wireless sync b/c I often don't have my desktop / laptop on and therefore monitored by wireless sync. I found that, in such circumstances, I couldn't receive or send mail and I like to get and send in real time.
rkdiddy
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help setting up push... Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
rkdiddy wrote:
Can someone post a link of where I should point my IT people to enable push on our corporate emails. I sent in a request and they let me know that currently they only support the blackberry enterprise software. I would like to be able to point them to an informational site of what needs to be done with our exchange server to set this up.

It's more accurate to say it should work if they haven't turned it off. Exchange ActiveSync is supported out-of-the-box in Exchange 2003, and Direct Push is automatically enabled with SP2. However, firewall settings may need to be tweaked, and Googling should provide some resources, such as this one .

The biggest issue is getting HTTPS set up in Exchange, which is the preferred Exchange ActiveSync protocol. If it's not already set up, they may be reluctant to invest the manpower to do it (even though it's straightforward once you know how to do it).

--janak

Thank you for this info. I'm thinking the problem is webmail isn't accessible from outside the network. I have to VPN on to access the HTTPS webmail page. I don't really know a whole lot but I wanted to supply them with as much information about setting up the process or opening a port to make this happen as possible. You would think for a multi-million dollar company someone would know how to do this {sigh} Rolling Eyes

Thanks.
Perry Reed
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love push and I'll never go back! And I'll never ever EVER go back to POP3 email! Just thinking about trying to manage email across multiple PCs, PDAs, and web clients makes me shudder. I'm doomed to pay for hosted Exchange service from now on so I can have one mailbox with multiple ways of accessing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is still IMAP. Just no Push.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
T-Will
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:

Does Gmail support IMAP?

When I get a Smartphone I might have to stick with the Gmail web interface since I really like using the "Labels" feature for categorizing my mail nowadays.
Perry Reed
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:

Ugh. I don't care for IMAP. Before I had tried it, I thought it would be the answer: a cheap, widely available server-based protocol.

But in reality it generally seems flaky and unstable, at least in the various XP and WM clients I've tried, and has some really annoying "features" like the way it handles deleting messages.

I'd love to see it improved because I think it still could be a great solution, but it needs some work and until it is improved I'm sticking with Exchange and MAPI.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dlinker
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help setting up push... Reply with quote

rkdiddy wrote:
Janak Parekh wrote:
rkdiddy wrote:
Can someone post a link of where I should point my IT people to enable push on our corporate emails. I sent in a request and they let me know that currently they only support the blackberry enterprise software. I would like to be able to point them to an informational site of what needs to be done with our exchange server to set this up.

It's more accurate to say it should work if they haven't turned it off. Exchange ActiveSync is supported out-of-the-box in Exchange 2003, and Direct Push is automatically enabled with SP2. However, firewall settings may need to be tweaked, and Googling should provide some resources, such as this one .

The biggest issue is getting HTTPS set up in Exchange, which is the preferred Exchange ActiveSync protocol. If it's not already set up, they may be reluctant to invest the manpower to do it (even though it's straightforward once you know how to do it).

--janak

Thank you for this info. I'm thinking the problem is webmail isn't accessible from outside the network. I have to VPN on to access the HTTPS webmail page. I don't really know a whole lot but I wanted to supply them with as much information about setting up the process or opening a port to make this happen as possible. You would think for a multi-million dollar company someone would know how to do this {sigh} Rolling Eyes

Thanks.

It's not as simple as just turning on HTTPS. The big issue from a security perspective is allowing an incoming connection to the Exchange server from the Internet in the first place. Companies that require high security eg Financial Institutions, only allow incoming connections with a one time password - like SecureID tokens. This means no Microsoft Push Email. Even with an ISA server, you're still ultimately allowing anyone to make a connection into one of your most important servers - your Exchange server.

Blackberry makes an OUTward connection to the RIM servers, hence no one-time password needed.

Unlike MS Push, Blackberry will sync your Notes and also allows you to turn off alerts for email, but leave on alerts (either Vibrate, Sound or both) for Calls, Reminders and SMS. The only problem is that it isn't a Windows Mobile 5.0 device Sad

We've just run a pilot to evaluate MS Push against Blackberry. Unfortunately, for now, MS still comes up short. If you want Blackberry like functionality with a Windows Mobile device, and have security concerns with incoming connections, use Good Technologies - www.good.com
sojourner753
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:

Quote:
Finally, is it possible to use hosted Exchange with a Gmail account and keep emails in sync?

I don't think so. You can forward Gmail to the Exchange mailbox, but it is its own email service.

--janak

I don't know about others, but 4smartphone has an option where you can have it draw emails from a POP3 account. Thats what I'm currently doing. I does introduce about a minute delay between emails though but I can live with it.
T-Will
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojourner753 wrote:
Janak Parekh wrote:

Quote:
Finally, is it possible to use hosted Exchange with a Gmail account and keep emails in sync?

I don't think so. You can forward Gmail to the Exchange mailbox, but it is its own email service.

--janak

I don't know about others, but 4smartphone has an option where you can have it draw emails from a POP3 account. Thats what I'm currently doing. I does introduce about a minute delay between emails though but I can live with it.

Does it sync email? For example, when you delete a message on your phone does it archive it in Gmail?
sojourner753
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Will wrote:
sojourner753 wrote:
Janak Parekh wrote:

Quote:

--janak

Does it sync email? For example, when you delete a message on your phone does it archive it in Gmail?

I guess I misunderstood your original question. It actually pulls your email into exchange. It'll leave them in gmail if you wish, but its a one way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: