FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Podcast Software....That Works?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfuzion
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Podcast Software....That Works? Reply with quote

I'm getting a bit frustrated....

In light of a recent announcement today that Cingular was going to offer Melodeo podcasts for $4.99 a month, I figured that there was bound to be something out there that worked well and was free. I've been so happy with my 8125, I figured there HAD to be something.

Sigh.

Skookum? Buggy as heck...and you can't tap the screen to activate menus and commands. Doesn't seem to find feeds when you search.

Smartfeed? Outdated, no updates and no activity in their forums since sometime in 2005.

Most of the others I've seen are strictly for PocketPC, and not for Smartphone. Surely there's software out there that will do it? I've found a ton of feeds I'd like to subscribe to on the Melodeo site, but how can I get around forking out even more money to Cingular?

Thanks,
MrFuzion
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Podcast Software....That Works? Reply with quote

mrfuzion wrote:
Most of the others I've seen are strictly for PocketPC, and not for Smartphone.

Confused You said you have a 8125, right? Well, that's a Pocket PC and not a Smartphone. A lot of places will advertise a device as a smartphone. They're just referring to a "smart" phone. Your device actually runs Windows Mobile for Pocket PC and not Windows Mobile for Smartphone.

As for the answer to your question; i'm not sure what's available for the Pocket PC. You might want to post your question on our sister site Pocket PC Thoughts Wink
mrfuzion
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh....go figure. So much for what the people at Cingular told me. I know it runs Windows Mobile 5.0. For some reason, I thought the Pocket PC phones ran the other versions of Windows Mobile.

The weird thing is that a lot of the smartphone software will run on it, but I've had trouble with PocketPC software. Grrr.

Thanks for the heads-up and clarification.

MrFuzion
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a common issue. Sad

Smartphone software will typically work on a Pocket PC, but Pocket PC software will not work on a Smartphone. Mainly because of the lack of touch screen.

So, your device does have Windows Mobile 5. It's just WinMo5 for the Pocket PC vs WinMo5 for the Smartphone. If you're digging around for software, make sure it supports Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC devices and you shouldn't have any issues. Wink
GSmith
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is late, but there is a FeederReader version for either Smartphones and Pocket PCs.

FeederReader handles podcasts, audio and video and anything else for which you have a player installed. Plus it's a great news reader as well. I'd love to have your feedback on the program. FeederReader continues to be wildly popular, has won numerous awards including voted "best" by Brighthand, Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine Best Software Awards Nominee 2005 and 2006, and "Best Of Show" at the Podcast and Portable Media Expo for "Best Mobile RSS Reader for Podcasts" in October.

If you need any help with FeederReader, I answer all questions at the FeederReader Forums including helping with specific feeds or media files.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone and Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road
ARW
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feed Reader's website says "FeederReader runs on Windows Mobile Pocket PC Edition only. It does not yet run on Smartphone Edition devices." Am I missing something?
GSmith
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FeederReader does in fact work on both Smartphones and Pocket PCs. I've fixed this (hopefully) on the website.
ARW
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've spent 20 plus minutes trying to locate a trial download for Smartphone and can only find one for PPC. I must still be missing something. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but your site makes it extremely difficult for potential customers.

Can you post a download link here that will take me directly to a trial?
GSmith
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smartphone version of FeederReader is now available here:

http://www.feederreader.com/sp/Rele...seNotes100.html

I encourage you to comment and seek any help you might need on the FeederReader Forums. I'm always looking for feedback!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone and PDA
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: