FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
No More Pocket PC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you need a Pocket PC?
I need a Pocket PC even though I have a Smartphone.
32%
 32%  [ 173 ]
I have a Pocket PC but don't use it much.
23%
 23%  [ 125 ]
I used to have a Pocket PC but got rid of it.
36%
 36%  [ 192 ]
A Pocket what?
7%
 7%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 531

Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: No More Pocket PC Reply with quote

I recently sold my 8125 (Pocket PC Phone) and for the first time in years I am without a Pocket PC device. Do I miss it? Not really. I found myself using it less and less especially after I got the Q. I will probably get another one just because I like to have gadgets to play with. From the day to day standpoint though, it was too clumsy to use compared to a Smartphone. The Q made the one thing that was easier to do on the Pocket PC, enter text, a moot point. I've even forgotten the joy of fumbling for a stylus to use the touch screen. This little poll is not intended to cover every situation so please don't flame me with, "You should have added xyz option". Just add your individual thoughts. All opinions are welcome but I'm more interested in those who have a Smartphone.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
footdoc
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: dazed and confused Reply with quote

JR- watched your posts a lot over the past year and respect your opinion

I use axim 50v (very minimal daily usage, mostly contacts, tasks, calendar with some programs- music, ebooks and some drug database programs like PDR), want to converge to one device

how do you use your smartphone each day, just want to get an idea of what I can and can't do with smartphone vs. PPCphone
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of what I do is email and web. Like right now I'm typing this on my Q. As I Mentioned the Q really changed it for me with the ease of data enry. I also use it for calendar and tasks. I think once you have a device with a Qwerty keypad having only a Smartphone becomes a much more desirable prospect.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided against using a pocket pc due to how much work was involved in doing the simplest task. cellphones should be a one handed device and when you get a stylus involved it will always be a two handed job. Sad

p.s. - i broke 1000 posts Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sojourner753
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TyTN and a Cingular 3125. I actually use my TyTN much more during the day. Its larger screen makes it easier for me to see my information while I'm on the run. And thats pretty much always. I don't yet have the apps that I normally use on my smartphone yet. They exist, but I haven't re-invested in the smartphone versions yet.

I love the form factor of my 3125, but I hardly use it because I can't find reasonable excuse to swap the sim card. Most of the time when I leave my home, which is almost always to go to work, the TyTN is what would be more useful.
WorksForTurkeys
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to stop carrying a PDA but the comparable applications for the SmartPhone just don't exist yet.

For example: no SplashMoney (altho I've read it's in development, I see nothing so far), no Pocket Quicken SP; no SPB Finance SP. Although XS Finance does exist, it is a pain for me to use. I don't know who designed the user interface, but I'm pretty certain he isn't human: I can reboot my desk PC faster than I can enter transactions in XS Finance. Bankarama is a good start but it provides only the absolute minimum functionality.

Currrently there are only two PIMs available (PI SP doesn't count as it is only a rebranded Papyrus) as an alternative to PO, but neither provides as much functionality as the PDA versions of PI or AF especially in the handling of contacts...

I need a little more in the available applications than that offerred by the stock WM5 SP applications before I can make the switch.
ctmagnus
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need the touch screen. Period. And I prefer the apps I have on my JAMin to the apps that are currently available for the Smartphone market. The selection is improving, but it's not there yet.

As for stylus-free usage, I'm getting there slowly. The biggest issue for me is the fact that TenGo Thumb stopped loading for me yesterday, so it was promptly uninstalled leaving Fitaly, which requires stylus usage on a 2.8" screen device, and the Phone Pad IM, which is T9 and therefore requires thinking to use. I'll likely look into TenGo Thumb again in the future as one-handed use is a godsend, regardless of the platform that it's one.
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dell axim when I bought my sda. After about a month, I realized I wasn't even using the dell so I sold it. I have never looked back. I think once I get the Dash, I'll feel even more complete. For now, smartphones do everything I want/need.
T-Will
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, I'm right with ya. I noticed I've used my Pocket PC less and less, mainly because it's too bulky to carry around everywhere, plus I only use a few programs which are available on Smartphone. So soon I'll be getting the Dash and will see how it goes just carrying around a Smartphone. This'll also allow me to get rid of my cell phone.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up using Pocket PC fulltime the day I signed up on Smartphone Thoughts. Smile Maybe a little before that; but I don't think I am quite ready to give it up.

My Pocket PC stays in the car; it is my MP3 player, my navigation system and it pulls down the weather and news (using my 2125 as the modem) during my drive into and from work. Overall it serves a very small purpose in my digital life, but it serves a useful purpose. Until I upgrade my car to my dream car the BMW 3 Series, the ultimate gadget, I will have to live with the PPC.

I might even upgrade it, if I can get a good deal on one of the high resolution PPC. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: