FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
No More Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you need a Pocket PC?
I need a Pocket PC even though I have a Smartphone.
32%
 32%  [ 173 ]
I have a Pocket PC but don't use it much.
23%
 23%  [ 125 ]
I used to have a Pocket PC but got rid of it.
36%
 36%  [ 192 ]
A Pocket what?
7%
 7%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 531

scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorksForTurkeys wrote:
[snip..]Although XS Finance does exist, it is a pain for me to use. I don't know who designed the user interface, but I'm pretty certain he isn't human: [...snip]

Very Happy I had to laugh when I read this as I felt exactly the same way when I tried XS Finance. I would like to see a Smartphone version of Quicken--that's one of the few apps I actually miss from the PPC.
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I like the one-handedness of my Smartphone, I really prefer character recognition for any text entry.

My first smartphone (note the lowercase s), an Ericsson r380i , was hardly usable one handed for things like email and WAP but it had great handwriting recognition, IMHO. The same goes for my second smartphone, the Sony Ericsson p800 . It had the same handwriting recognition as the r380 and had better one handed capabilities but for web browsing and text entry applications, a stylus was a must.

The p800 probably had the best chance of replacing my PDA but the memory limitations prevented me from getting all the apps I was used to using on a frequent basis.
saru7755
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made the switch couple of months ago, sold the ATOM tried some non WM smartphones & then got the QTEK 8500, since then i knew how much i have been missing, the SP platform is as good as ppc & in a way smaller form factor, got a new SP actually 3 weeks ago, the Samsung i320N.. can do everything for me.. do not need to upgrade or go back till its successor comes out the i600 Very Happy
DaleReeck
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: No More Pocket PC Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
I recently sold my 8125 (Pocket PC Phone) and for the first time in years I am without a Pocket PC device. Do I miss it? Not really. I found myself using it less and less especially after I got the Q. I will probably get another one just because I like to have gadgets to play with. From the day to day standpoint though, it was too clumsy to use compared to a Smartphone. The Q made the one thing that was easier to do on the Pocket PC, enter text, a moot point. I've even forgotten the joy of fumbling for a stylus to use the touch screen. This little poll is not intended to cover every situation so please don't flame me with, "You should have added xyz option". Just add your individual thoughts. All opinions are welcome but I'm more interested in those who have a Smartphone.

He he, I swear I could have written that post Smile

Except it was a Sprint 6700 for me. But the Q, much to my surprise, has been more than enough for my PDA needs. All my critical PocketPC apps I was able to replace with Smartphone versions, e.g., eWallet, Audible etc.

Also, I need a second gadget too Smile But since I already have a Q, I decided a PocketPC was redundant and I wouldn't use it enough. I mean, what's the point of two mobile devices. So I got a Samsung Q1 tablet PC - sort of like PocketPC meets Windows PC.

Something about the letter "Q" I guess Very Happy
alese
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I have never really used Smartphone as my daily device, but I don't think I could live without touch screen and stylus. Not only I get fast navigation to anything in the screen (definatelly faster than on Smartphone), but I have also the ability to quickly jot down stuff with my handwriting (again much faster than Smartphone).
If I add to that more poverfull aplications (PI for instance), more powerfull HW and the fact that there is only one UMTS Smartphone, there is really no incentive for me to switch.
saru7755
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alese wrote:
the ability to quickly jot down stuff with my handwriting (again much faster than Smartphone).

this is the only thing i miss from a PPC, but i DO NOT agree its faster than a SP as there are a lot of keyboard based SP where typing is actually faster than handwriting recognition.

alese wrote:

more powerfull HW

i guess u havent read about the i320 Wink 400MHz+ Processor with 128 ROM & 64 RAM, this is my baby & actually its way more responsive than any PPC phone i have ever used.

alese wrote:

and the fact that there is only one UMTS Smartphone, there is really no incentive for me to switch.

A LOT of 3G enabled SP are comming out, its just a matter of time, waiting for the "i600" thats gonna be a killer Very Happy
alese
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saru7755 wrote:
alese wrote:
the ability to quickly jot down stuff with my handwriting (again much faster than Smartphone).

this is the only thing i miss from a PPC, but i DO NOT agree its faster than a SP as there are a lot of keyboard based SP where typing is actually faster than handwriting recognition.

I wasn't refering to using Handwriting recognition (I very rarely use Calligrapher). I was refering to simple jotting stuff in my PhatPad using digital ink. This is something you simply can't do on smartphone (quick sketch) or is slower (writting something down)...

saru7755 wrote:

alese wrote:

more powerfull HW

i guess u havent read about the i320 Wink 400MHz+ Processor with 128 ROM & 64 RAM, this is my baby & actually its way more responsive than any PPC phone i have ever used.

I heard about it, and I guess it is definatelly faster than PPC on same clock, but there are other PPCs that are more powerfull, have more memory and more connectivity build in (Axim, Universal...) - Samsung for instance doesn't have WiFi...

saru7755 wrote:

alese wrote:

and the fact that there is only one UMTS Smartphone, there is really no incentive for me to switch.

A LOT of 3G enabled SP are comming out, its just a matter of time, waiting for the "i600" thats gonna be a killer Very Happy

Currently I only know about one with UMTS, and for what is worth, I have seen a lot of phones from Samsung beeing announced, not only WM devices, but getting one through carrier or even in shops is pretty much imposible here in Slovenia. So if they ever release i600 I really doubt it's going to be availabe here.
saru7755
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alese wrote:
simple jotting stuff in my PhatPad using digital ink. This is something you simply can't do on smartphone (quick sketch) or is slower (writting something down)...

Agreed on the Jotting thing, & thats why i mentioned thats the only thing i miss.

alese wrote:

Samsung for instance doesn't have WiFi...

And thats where the i600 fills in as it will be equiped with WiFi, UMTS & HSDPA.. its due Q4 2006 & Sumsung never turned me down about release dates.

alese wrote:

So if they ever release i600 I really doubt it's going to be availabe here.

Online ordering my friend, eBay for instance.. Idea
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my Pocket PC in ages. I don't see any point in carrying 2 devices and I really don't find the PPC that easy to use, especially when it comes to one-handed operation.

Everything I need to do when I'm out and about, can be done from my Smartphone. And now that I have a QWERTY enabled device, it's even more true. I don't see any reason to switch back or even carry a PPC again. They're bigger and you have to use that stylus thing just to get the simplest things done. Laughing
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious about all you'ns who switched wholly to Smartphone and no longer use a stylus,

What do you use to clean your ears Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: