FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
What's Next for HTC?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: What's Next for HTC? Reply with quote

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3408

"HTC has positioned itself as the largest manufacturer of Windows Mobile devices in the world. It has seen incredible growth this past year, and has made moves to sell directly to customers. After the incredible success that HTC has experienced this past year, what’s next for them? Here are some suggestions from yours truly. HTC is growing rapidly, but except for the highly politicized purchase of Dopod has not made a move to improve its position with strategic partnerships or mergers. There are 2 areas in which I believe that HTC can make strategic moves that will significantly improve its position: first in the area of mobile cameras and second in the area of branding."

Lately I have been feeling as if HTC has dropped the ball as far as product design and usability are concerned. Personally, this is something I feel should be nipped in the bud before they focus on designing a better camera. The difference in usability between a Cingular 2125 (HTC Faraday) and Cingular 3125 (HTC StrTrk) is ridiculous. To give you a better idea of what I'm referring to, try opening up the Comm Manager on both devices. For an even better example, try adjusting the volume on both devices. What was once a very simplistic action has instead turned into a round of Twister with my fingers. Smartphones were designed to make our lives easier, but lately I have felt as if my device is becoming more difficult to use everyday. Which each new device, I feel as if I’m taking a step or two backwards. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but the other day, I actually missed my MPx220. Sure the ROM was a mess, but it was so easy to use! Hopefully, I'm not the only person who feels this way! Hop inside and let us know how you feel! Who knows, maybe I'm just crazy! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul Kay
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the StrTrk, what can be simpler than pressing and holding the Home button and selecting Comm Manager. Likewise, the volume can be adjusted using the side buttons even when the StrTrk is closed! Or is it the Faraday you are complaining about?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're not alone. I wasn't sure what phone to get next and part of my decision was around getting another HTC or something new and different. I'm pleased with the Samsung i320 and I think the build quality is better than my past HTC devices. It's faster and feels more solid in my hands - despite the fact that it's thinner.
mbranscum
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco...

I've had the Mpx220 and the Cingular 3125 and like the 3125 much better.

What processes do you feel are easier to complete on the 220?
cinimod1000
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had "useability" issues with HTC phones. I have had the MPX220, T-Mobile MDA, then the SDA, Then the MDA again. Today I am back to my 220, just to enjoy a day or two of simplicity!!
The MDA is great when at work, for e-mail, or for surfing the web in the evenings, but it's just too darn big to stick in your pocket when you go out....and sometimes it seems that either having to pull out the stylus (or make 10 or so moves with the 5 way) just to do one thing, is rediculous. I can do the same thing with two or three button presses on my 220. Besides, the 220 has great signal strength, and works well with the 1.47ROM. Anyone want to buy a very nearly new MDA?!!!!!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's Next for HTC? Reply with quote

Rocco Augusto wrote:
I actually missed my MPx220.

Did you skip your medication today?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
jimfee
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always count on Jerry to pile on the MPX220.

Any of you insiders know what Moto is up to since the Q? are they still in the WinMo bussiness Smartphone or otherwise?

Maybe they don't think they can catch up to HTC Wink
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like to give it its just due. Cool

Have you seen this?

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/f...pic.php?p=78597

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
J4yDubs
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's Next for HTC? Reply with quote

Rocco Augusto wrote:
"
To give you a better idea of what I'm referring to, try opening up the Comm Manager on both devices. For an even better example, try adjusting the volume on both devices. What was once a very simplistic action has instead turned into a round of Twister with my fingers.

Can you expand on this thought? Having not used a 2125, I don't know how it handled Comm Manager and volume.

Just for reference, as stated above, you can hold the home button and then hit 2.

Or even easier is, if you using the Windows Default theme or have enabled it in another theme, you can just select the data/time bar. That will bring up Comm Manager.

You could also remap a key to do it.

I don't seem to have any issues with setting the volume?

John
jfreiman
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a 2125 user for a year -- yea, that was me who purchased the phone for $399 when it FIRST came out. Wink Before that I had the ATT/Audiovox 5600.

I so wanted to get a new phone hoping that a new phone would be a new 'nervana' for me.

I scouted around town and stopped at 4 stores before I found a 3125 -- I returned it a week later.

Some things I didn't like were because of it's form factor -- I'm a bar phone shapped man.

Other reasons were it WAS harder for me to do things on the phone. Maybe I didn't look into enough or give it enough time, but the 2125 for me was easier to get to the menus and features I used daily.

The 3125 wasn't the phone for me, but lots of my friends liked it, it got oohs and ahhhs, but in the end I like the 2125 more and am still actively seeking my next Smartpone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: