FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
What's Next for HTC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Kay wrote:
On the StrTrk, what can be simpler than pressing and holding the Home button and selecting Comm Manager. Likewise, the volume can be adjusted using the side buttons even when the StrTrk is closed! Or is it the Faraday you are complaining about?

The problem is you have to hold the home button on the 3125. On the 2125 it was a simple key press, holding the home key down is just a tedious process which gets incredible annoying when you use the Comm Manager a lot.

Also the volume buttons on the 3125 are in a very difficult to use place making them hard to press. It would have been a better design if they were located on the bottom portion of the device and not the upper portion. Even leaving them on the upper screen, it would have been easier to place them below the Voicetag button. Sad

mbranscum wrote:
Rocco...

I've had the Mpx220 and the Cingular 3125 and like the 3125 much better.

What processes do you feel are easier to complete on the 220?

Everything was a lot simpler to get to. Also, using the directional pad on the MPx220 was a lot less frustrating due to its larger size. I'm just not a huge fan of how many key presses it takes to do most tasks on the 3125.

Jerry Raia wrote:
Rocco Augusto wrote:
I actually missed my MPx220.

Did you skip your medication today?

i ran out Sad

J4yDubs wrote:
Can you expand on this thought? Having not used a 2125, I don't know how it handled Comm Manager and volume... You could also remap a key to do it.

It handled them very easily. They were both simple button presses which were located in a way that it wasn't awkward to press them, the problem with the 3125 is that it is so long and thin, it makes hitting the side keys difficult.

While I could remap them, I shouldn't have to. I personally feel this is something that should have been taken care of when they were designing the device. Someone should have noticed that it was taking at least one extra keypress to do a fair amount of tasks

jfreiman wrote:
Other reasons were it WAS harder for me to do things on the phone. Maybe I didn't look into enough or give it enough time, but the 2125 for me was easier to get to the menus and features I used daily.

This is the same problem i am having. I loved the phone to death when I purchased it, but each new day that rolls around I find myself hating this device more and more. The device looks nice and thin and very fashionable, unfortunately I just can't be as productive on this handset then I could on my previous WM devices.

EDIT: sorry it is taking me so long to respond, i started a new job and have very little downtime during the day. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ballgame106
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to hold down the home button and then select comm manager. On the 3125 all you have to do is hold down the center of the navigation button and it opens. It is that simple! Very Happy
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballgame106 wrote:
You dont have to hold down the home button and then select comm manager. On the 3125 all you have to do is hold down the center of the navigation button and it opens. It is that simple! Very Happy

The only thing that starts when you hold that button down is whatever is highlighted if you are are on the home screen for example. It is like the enter key on your PC keyboard.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think the Dash will help HTC? I'm a wifi kinda guy so the i320 just won't do for me. I sure hope the Dash delivers. It's the only upcoming phone I see worth buying.
Ballgame106
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. When I posted that, I had the homescreen layout "Windows Simple" enabled. In this case, the comm manager does open if you hold down the center of the navigation button. Sorry for the confusion.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballgame106 wrote:
Sorry. When I posted that, I had the homescreen layout "Windows Simple" enabled. In this case, the comm manager does open if you hold down the center of the navigation button. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh no worries at all. Welcome to the site! Very Happy

Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crispeto wrote:
So do you think the Dash will help HTC? I'm a wifi kinda guy so the i320 just won't do for me. I sure hope the Dash delivers. It's the only upcoming phone I see worth buying.

It depends, if executed properly, the Dash could be an incredible device. Then again, if the Dash receives as little attention as the SDA did as far as ROM upgrades are concerned, I could see that being a problem Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J4yDubs
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco Augusto wrote:

It handled them very easily. They were both simple button presses which were located in a way that it wasn't awkward to press them, the problem with the 3125 is that it is so long and thin, it makes hitting the side keys difficult.

While I could remap them, I shouldn't have to. I personally feel this is something that should have been taken care of when they were designing the device. Someone should have noticed that it was taking at least one extra keypress to do a fair amount of tasks

Seems like you have you have an issue with the ergonomics, which might be partially because of the flip-phone design. I'm finding the ergonomics to be fine, but I'm also coming from a flip-phone centric history. It's actually something that attracted me to this phone (instead of the 2125 or similar device).

As for the button mapping, that's a pretty subjective topic. I don't find myself going into Comm Manager very often and wouldn't like it if they dedicated a button to it; I'd remap it. I don't like that they mapped a button to notes and have remapped it. I don't use the device to take notes, but that's me.

I actually wouldn't mind a couple of more hard buttons to map things to though.

Rocco Augusto wrote:

EDIT: sorry it is taking me so long to respond, i started a new job and have very little downtime during the day. Smile

What?! You have a real job and don't just post on here??? Wink
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4yDubs wrote:

He has some nerve doesn't he? #Turn-l

Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4yDubs wrote:

yep, had to go back to the wonderful world of working. all joking aside, the layout seems poorly put together. for instance, the notes button is below the volume button which makes the volume buttons harder to press if you have smaller hands. it would have made more sense to add the volume buttons below the notes button or better yet, add both sets of buttons to the bottom portion of the clamshell where your hand is already hanging out! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: