FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Evolution Stalled?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You Happy with the Windows Mobile Built in Applications?
They are great, stop complaining!
4%
 4%  [ 17 ]
They are OK, I just get third party applications if I want more.
41%
 41%  [ 151 ]
They are barely usable, I resent having to buy applications!
51%
 51%  [ 188 ]
Crouton?
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 366

Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
In many ways, it is the same OS they rolled out in the beginning. My next weekend rant will cover another aspect of this. Very Happy

Your rants are making our weekends more exciting. Laughing
scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the fence about this one. Yes, it would be great if Pocket Outlook was improved a bit more. I think Pocket IE in much better in WM5 SP than it was in WM2003 SP. Calendar is ok, Tasks is useless.

I guess I'm ok with having to purchase third party software since most of it is very reasonably priced. My issue is the lack of availability of certain types of software. Papyrus and Facade clearly fill a need. Maybe FlexMail will fill another, but it has a history of acting a bit flaky. Good luck finding another email client that runs on the Smartphone. An alternative browser?!? Opera, where are you?
dh
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I take a slightly different view than many on this. I see Microsofts job to be providing a good OS that is stable that various applications will run on.

I don't use WordPad on my desktop any more than I would use Pocket Word on my PPC. I've bought Word to be my desktop wordprocessor and Textmaker as my Pocket PC one.

Hopefully as Smartphone adoption increases, developers will fill some of the gaps that currently exist. I used to use Textmaker on my Zaurus, so I'm sure Martin and his guys will come out with a Smartphone version as more devices get proper keypads. Probably a spreadsheet as well. SBSH already have great apps like Papyrus and Facade that make the Smartphone platform much more useful.

Remember, serious text input for Smartphones has only been available for a few months. If the demand is there, I'm sure the developer community will be happy to come through in the same way they did for the PPC.
Stinger
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My philosophy is that a smartphone should be fully loaded straight out of the box. It should "just work". I shouldn't need to download lots of (potentially expensive) 3rd party software in order to have a fully functional device.

What bugs me is that you can buy practically any other smartphone (Palm OS, Symbian) and it will come with at least MS Office document viewing software. Most come with full Office suites. Office software should be one of Windows Mobile's strongest selling points so why can't Microsoft produce Pocket Office for Smartphones?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree - the apps suck, and the time on missed calls is horrible. That's one of the things I've been repeatedly complianing about to Microsoft. Same with the defaults for IE Cache and caller display, File support in ActiveSync, etc...

I'm not trying to defend them, because I think these changes should have been done a long time ago. However, from what I've been told they are focusing a lot of energy under the hood. Working hard to get the PPC and SP to the same level while improving reliability and speed. You have to agree that these have improved a lot since the early days. I still think they could have found a little time to clean up an app or two, or move a time field to the top of the list instead of the botton. Rolling Eyes

Microsoft is listening to our (MVPs) feedback. I can't tell you what they have to say or what they've done about it, but they are listening. Wink
scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinger wrote:
My philosophy is that a smartphone should be fully loaded straight out of the box. It should "just work". I shouldn't need to download lots of (potentially expensive) 3rd party software in order to have a fully functional device.

If this were the case, where would that leave third-party developers?

Quote:
What bugs me is that you can buy practically any other smartphone (Palm OS, Symbian) and it will come with at least MS Office document viewing software. Most come with full Office suites. Office software should be one of Windows Mobile's strongest selling points so why can't Microsoft produce Pocket Office for Smartphones?

This might be device/operator dependent--the Moto Q does come with a viewer for MS Office documents.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think their (MS) flagship applications should be a bit more than an after thought. POutlook should be able to display HTML after this many years and that calendar, what a joke! The main selling point for the mobile device, PIM functions, is pathetic out of the box.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Stinger
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If this were the case, where would that leave third-party developers?

I would argue that it leaves them writing proper applications and games, rather than filling in the gaps in the operating system. For example, MacOS comes with a pretty full suite of applications, but there's plenty of 3rd party developers writing for the OS.

Quote:
This might be device/operator dependent--the Moto Q does come with a viewer for MS Office documents.

Sadly, it's device/operator dependent. Even compare your Q against something like the Symbian-based Nokia E62. The E62 comes with a full Office suite with edit/view abilities, whilst the Q only comes with viewing software. Where's the synergy between Microsoft's desktop and mobile software?
scottb
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinger wrote:
Sadly, it's device/operator dependent. Even compare your Q against something like the Symbian-based Nokia E62. The E62 comes with a full Office suite with edit/view abilities, whilst the Q only comes with viewing software. Where's the synergy between Microsoft's desktop and mobile software?

Just for the sake of accuracy, it's the WM Smartphone O/S that doesn't have MS Office applications. The WM PPC O/S device I had (Samsung i730) did have the MS Office suite included.

My main gripe is, as Jerry stated, POutlook should handle html. The only improvement I've seen in it over the past few years is the ability to use a different smtp server vs. pop sever--a big improvement, but the only one.
gyos23
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: What bothers me... Reply with quote

This is my first post on Smartphone Thoughts but I feel strongly about this subject and have posted on another forum concerning this. I have a T-Mobile SDA and I am in love with the phone but the fact that the simplest features such as MS Office is not included is a bit of a turn off.

I read somwhere that the reason that Smartphones don't carry software similar to that of a PPC is because of the QWERTY keyboard layout problem, but apparently Smartphones with full keyboards are now appearing (ex. Excalibur) so what's the excuse now??

The other thing I read was that people who buy Pocket Pc's are for the whole "Office To Go" kind of mind set and people with Smartphones are people who only need to read and write emails at most, which is somewhat true. But what bothers me is that they don't give us the option of putting that software in any Smartphone at all. People love options, and since Microsoft isn't open source oriented, the most they could do is atleast let us have fun with our phones!

I don't know guys, let me get feedback if possible. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: