FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Any way to add phrases to the auto-text feature?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argelius
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Any way to add phrases to the auto-text feature? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an application that will allow you to add phrases to the auto-text feature?

For example, if I type "goi..." I'd like "going to" to show up as a choice.

Thanks!

(I have a TMo Dash)
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XT9 feature should help auto-complete words, but I don't think it will help with phrases. Confused
Argelius
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. One more tangentially-related question -- is there any way to make the phone enter a space after you select one of the auto-compete words? Sort of annoying it doesn't do that automatically...
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argelius wrote:
Thanks. One more tangentially-related question -- is there any way to make the phone enter a space after you select one of the auto-compete words? Sort of annoying it doesn't do that automatically...

There is. It all has to do with the way you accept the word. I don't have one so I could be wrong on exactly how this works. If I recall, moving right on the navigation pad will select the word and add a space, push enter on the navigation pad (or keyboard I think) will just to the word. Again, I could be wrong on which does what but it is possible. Please try it out and let us know which it is for sure. Thanks!
Argelius
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
moving right on the navigation pad will select the word and add a space, push enter on the navigation pad (or keyboard I think) will just to the word. Again, I could be wrong on which does what but it is possible. Please try it out and let us know which it is for sure. Thanks!

Here's what appears to happen on the Dash:

[1] Selecting the word with either the return key or the select/center key on the navigation pad selects the word, but puts no space.

[2] If you move right with the navigation pad, it just moves to the next word choice, so that wont work.

Hhhmmmm......
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try hitting space once you have the word selected instead of enter.
Argelius
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

I tired that. It's a little easier, although still not quite what it should be.

When you select the word with the space, the word gets selected, but no space gets inserted. It's not too difficult to press the space bar twice in succession (first to select word; the second to add a space), so it does save a bit of time.

Still, though, there should be a setting that allows you to have a space automatically inserted after the word is selected with the navigation pad. Alas, it's not the most inconvenient of things one encounters in life...
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Q will actually guess the next word based on what you have input previously. For example if you had typed "I like the way you smell", the next time you start "I like..." it will bring up "the". If you accept that word it will bring up "way" etc. Not exactly what you were originally asking but close, at least on the Q.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Argelius
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
The Q will actually guess the next word based on what you have input previously. For example if you had typed "I like the way you smell", the next time you start "I like..." it will bring up "the". If you accept that word it will bring up "way" etc. Not exactly what you were originally asking but close, at least on the Q.

I've starting to notice that behavior on my dash now that it is learning from my typing... a little confusing at first but I think im getting the hang of it.
Argelius
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argelius wrote:
Mike Temporale wrote:

I tired that. It's a little easier, although still not quite what it should be.

When you select the word with the space, the word gets selected, but no space gets inserted. It's not too difficult to press the space bar twice in succession (first to select word; the second to add a space), so it does save a bit of time.

Still, though, there should be a setting that allows you to have a space automatically inserted after the word is selected with the navigation pad. Alas, it's not the most inconvenient of things one encounters in life...

just figured out something: the space bar thing works when composing an email, but I not when working in a web form (like I am doing now)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: