FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Time Change: Stop the Insanity!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSUKid7 wrote:
Jerry Raia wrote:
We should stop this silly messing with time.

I agree... but instead, our government decides to mess with us even more and change when we switch to/from DST. Rolling Eyes

They can't even decide when they want it to get dark! To make it more confusing some places don't even switch to DST.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
Janak, I am totally ignorant about this change to the DST schedule so please shed some more light on it. Do you have any links to share? Also I cannot think about the possible problems other than ofcourse the air traffic control.

When in doubt, Wikipedia :

Quote:
Beginning in 2007, DST will start on the second Sunday in March (March 11, 2007), and change back to standard time on the first Sunday in November (November 4, 2007). Under Section 110 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the U.S. Department of Energy is required to study the impact of the DST extension no later than nine months after the change takes effect. Congress has retained the right to revert to the DST schedule set in 1986 if it cannot be shown that there are significant energy savings from an extension of DST or if the extension may prove to be unpopular with the American public. One potential issue is that some northern regions on the western edge of time zones will for the first time since the 1974-75 "almost year round" DST experiment have sunrise times that occur after 8am.

As to problems, think about syncing and what will happen to appointment times and the like if the Pocket PC thinks you're on standard time and in fact you are in DST, or vice-versa. One "solution" is to switch the time zone, but that may cause your Pocket PC to report the wrong time in email headers, etc., and you must remember to switch back. Moreover, CDMA phones (and GSM in Europe) auto-set the cell phone's time, which will mess with the timezone setting more, or so I think.

--janak
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Change: Stop the Insanity! Reply with quote

gai-jin wrote:
Or you could just leave work an hour earlier...

Ah, good point, but the "academic day" just plain starts late. This way, I also get to miss rush hour. Smile

Jerry Raia wrote:
One of you had it change twice, another not at all. We should stop this silly messing with time. I wonder how much money is lost with people not making it to work and then nobody seems to be able to drive right the Monday after. It messes with our circadian rhythm.

Okay, now you're pushing the blame a little too far. Are you telling me you've never slept/woke up an hour early or late in your life? Moreover, the changeover is on a Sunday just to prevent your Monday driving scenario. We've been doing this for decades, I've almost never had problems.

OSUKid7 wrote:
I agree... but instead, our government decides to mess with us even more and change when we switch to/from DST. Rolling Eyes

You say this as if it was set in stone. It's not. It's shifted over the decades. Wink

Jerry Raia wrote:
They can't even decide when they want it to get dark! To make it more confusing some places don't even switch to DST.

At this point, two states ignore it in the US: Arizona and Hawaii. Not very confusing at all. I think you just like to complain. Smile

--janak
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
Okay, now you're pushing the blame a little too far. Are you telling me you've never slept/woke up an hour early or late in your life? Moreover, the changeover is on a Sunday just to prevent your Monday driving scenario. We've been doing this for decades, I've almost never had problems.

Statistically I believe there are more traffic accidents the Monday morning after.

Janak Parekh wrote:
At this point, two states ignore it in the US: Arizona and Hawaii. Not very confusing at all. I think you just like to complain.

Not true, some areas (not even the whole state, just to keep it complicated) of Indiana don't change either. And yes I do enjoy complaining, this is one of my favorite things to gripe about! Mr. Green

kerrins
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Get rid of DST Reply with quote

Personally, I wish we would get rid of DST and time zones entirely. I'm tired of having someone in the midwest schedule a conference call at say 4:00. I now have to figure out, do they me their 4:00 or my 4:00...are they 2 hours ahead of me or 3 hours. If we just had one time zone GMT, then when someone said 4:00 we could eliminate the confusion. Yes, I'm in favor of military time too. No more guessing AM or PM. That doesn't mean that everyone would have to work from 9-5 no matter where they were in the world. My California shift would instead of starting at 0800 would start at 1600 and I would work until 0000. The transistion would be hard, but once everyone used the same clock we would be better off.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to stay up late to make sure nothing messed up since my girlfriend had to go to work in the morning. you have no idea how weird it is to watch your clock go from 1:59AM to 1:00AM Laughing

Aw, good times.

It's funny, ever time there is a time change I have to stay up cause I don't trust my clocks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Get rid of DST Reply with quote

kerrins wrote:
Personally, I wish we would get rid of DST and time zones entirely. I'm tired of having someone in the midwest schedule a conference call at say 4:00. I now have to figure out, do they me their 4:00 or my 4:00...are they 2 hours ahead of me or 3 hours. If we just had one time zone GMT, then when someone said 4:00 we could eliminate the confusion. Yes, I'm in favor of military time too. No more guessing AM or PM. That doesn't mean that everyone would have to work from 9-5 no matter where they were in the world. My California shift would instead of starting at 0800 would start at 1600 and I would work until 0000. The transistion would be hard, but once everyone used the same clock we would be better off.

You are an person I could call friend. One more test, are you sad we are not on the metric system here?

sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any Aussies piping in here. Maybe they feel we haven't a thing to complain about, with just hour differences. Those people have half time zones to deal with. When It's 12 in Sydney it's 11:30 in Adelaide. Sheesh.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to name this global confusion. Time Schizophrenia.

expediter
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Change: Stop the Insanity! Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
For those of you, myself included, who had to change time this morning at 0200 how did it turn out? I'm speaking of course of all of your toys and gadgets that are supposed to perform this feat by themselves. My Smartphones all did as they were supposed to. My PC and laptop as well. Everything else with a clock had to be manually changed in this insane ritual we are forced to go through twice a year. I have asked this question many times, why? I don't buy any of the reasons I usually get either.

I'm with you on this one Jerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: