FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Time Change: Stop the Insanity!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
I'm going to name this global confusion. Time Schizophrenia.

I personally don't see any reason to complain about any of this,

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Laughing
dlinker
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven wrote:
I don't see any Aussies piping in here. Maybe they feel we haven't a thing to complain about, with just hour differences. Those people have half time zones to deal with. When It's 12 in Sydney it's 11:30 in Adelaide. Sheesh.

Don't get me started:

Firstly there's the half hour difference Sven mentioned.

Now we have the crazy situation where Queensland (the State on the north Eastern coast of Australia) doesn't have Daylight Savings Time, but the other Eastern states do. This means people living on the border may have to change their watch when they go to work/school across the border - then back again when they get home. Think of New York having daylight Saving and New Jersey not having it.

heov wrote:
so everyone knows next year daylight savings time is all messed up. it's like 2wks earlier/later or something.

question: is my phone gonna know that? i assume my pc is covered through windows update or something.

what about my pocket pc?

what about my tv?

next day light savings is gonna be killer Sad

i can see it now... i manually update my stuff to an hour ahead... then 2wks later when it's programmed to do it, it does it again, and i'm late Sad

You guys don't know what you're in for with the change to the start/end of DST. It's going to get very ugly.

Let me tell you from experience - we've been through this twice and it creates absolute havoc. The government changed the time zone in 2000 for the Sydney Olympics - we started DST the last Sunday in August instead of the the Sunday in October (remember we're "Down Under" so all our seasons are reversed - summer is Dec-Feb). This meant rolling out a fix for all the Windows computers. Trouble is MS didn't provide the fix till a few weeks before for Windows and not at all for PocketPC.

The effect of the change is that any meeting that is already in your calendar for the period between the new start date and the old date (ie March 11 - April 1, 2007) will move by an hour - that includes recurring meetings. Yes - that's right - all meetings already in the Calendar prior to you applying the patch will be out by one hour. This really annoys people - especially senior managers who show up to meetings an hour late (or is it early - I can't remember).

We did this all over again for the Commonwelath Games in Melbourne in 2006 - although this time they only moved the end of DST by one week. Still painful but not quite so bad.

Let's hope this time - since it actually affects Americans and not just us poor Aussies - Microsoft will release a patch for Windows Mobile (not just Windows).

Then there's the TiVos, Blackberries, PVRs etc that will all need patching. Looks like the DoE has no idea the havoc they're going to cause Smile

I'd like to say I can just sit back and watch the chaos - but I work for a multinational - so I now get to go through the pain for the third time. Maybe I'll dig up the VB code that moves all appointments during the relevent period by an hour - once the change has been implemented.

Good luck - and start preparing now - the sooner you make the change, the fewer appointments you (and if you're an IT person - your users) will have during the affected period.

The problem is caused because Outlook stores all appointment internally in UTC (or GMT) time. It knows how to cope with DST - until you change the definition of DST in the OS. Outlook then gets itself twisted and all appointments in the changed period are out by an hour.
Mark Kenepp
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlinker wrote:
Think of New York having daylight Saving and New Jersey not having it.

Sounds like something New York would do just to p*** o** New Jersey Cool

BTW,

I just noticed that with the time change, All my backup jobs were moved an hour later. As a result, those jobs set to go off after 11:00pm moved to midnight so the job I had scheduled to run this evening, ran this morning #Cussing out

I take back what I said about time being an illusion. Maybe it is, but my backup jobs are not.
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Not true, some areas (not even the whole state, just to keep it complicated) of Indiana don't change either.

Actually, as of this year, all of Indiana observes DST . Two small parts of the state are in Central and the rest is in Eastern, but they do all switch.

--janak
Janak Parekh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlinker wrote:
Let's hope this time - since it actually affects Americans and not just us poor Aussies - Microsoft will release a patch for Windows Mobile (not just Windows).

Agreed. This is inexcusable behavior on Microsoft's part. Confused

--janak
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
Two small parts of the state are in Central and the rest is in Eastern

Well now that is simplification at its finest! Laughing

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Darius Wey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlinker wrote:
Trouble is MS didn't provide the fix till a few weeks before for Windows and not at all for PocketPC.

Sigh, what a mess. You know, the rate at which these updates are rolled out (or not rolled out), I think my devices will all be out of sync if (when?) WA goes ahead with DST next month.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,2359...66-1245,00.html
Janak Parekh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:

Well, Northeastern Indiana is largely a Chicagoan suburb, so it makes sense. If you look at the map I sent you, Indiana is not the only state that is split. Nevertheless, it's DST statewide, so while timezone allocations may be up for debate, one no longer needs a special "Indiana" setting in Windows...

--janak
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
Jerry Raia wrote:

Well, Northeastern Indiana is largely a Chicagoan suburb, so it makes sense. If you look at the map I sent you, Indiana is not the only state that is split. Nevertheless, it's DST statewide, so while timezone allocations may be up for debate, one no longer needs a special "Indiana" setting in Windows...

--janak

It is just a symptom of this whole Time Schizophrenia we have. I think the earlier poster had the right idea. GMT only! What was the thing? Centibeats? Remember that Internet time thing?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
aximilation
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time goes abstract.......

Actually, don't quote on this, I heard somewhere that DST was created for farmers so they would have more time in the fields or something like that.

Graham - Webmaster: http://aximilation.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> OFF-TOPIC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: