FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
auto time update when traveling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl9jr wrote:
Originally WM5 did not have that awareness, but it would seem that has been fixed in newer phones.

It's not a WinMo feature. If your phone does it, then chances are that Cingular or HTC has added this code into the device. I'm glad that someone has done it. I wish Microsoft would have stuff like this in the OS from the start. Sad
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Daryl9jr wrote:
Originally WM5 did not have that awareness, but it would seem that has been fixed in newer phones.

It's not a WinMo feature. If your phone does it, then chances are that Cingular or HTC has added this code into the device. I'm glad that someone has done it. I wish Microsoft would have stuff like this in the OS from the start. Sad

IMHO this is NOT fixed, but rather broken worse. It has always been the case that changing the TZ on a Windows device (mobile or desktop) has 'adjusted' all your appointments to the new zone. That is due to the internal storage mechanism for appointments. If you are on the west coast and put in a 12 Noon appt, and change the TZ to East coast the appt will be at 3 PM. When it is 12 PM in LA, it is 3PM in NY. That's great if it was a conf call, because you can dial in at 3PM in NY and join. Not so good if you put a lunch date for NY on your calendar at 12 while sitting in your office in LA...you'll be a bit late.

Some folks adjusted when they put the appointment in, and there are even third party programs that let you select a Time Zone when entering a new appointment. My solution was to change the time...not the TZ.. when I traveled, so my appointments didn't shift.

If a SP automatically adjusts the TZ, I no longer have an option..I must enter appointments at the 'wrong' time based on the TZ in which they occur, or rather what time it will be, where I currently am, when I need to be notified, where I will be. Make sense? Not to me either. But my lunch date in NY needs to be on my calendar in LA at 9AM. Got it? Of course my secretary will make flight arrangements based on the 9AM appt in NY, because that 's where it shows up on the calendar.

We need the option to not move appointments when the TZ shifts, if we no longer have the option of the TZ not shifting.
ifonline
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

I'm confused, then. On my Blackjack, there is a setting under Date and Time for Auto Adjust on/off. What is this setting for, if it isn't for picking up the time off of the towers? And if this is for auto updating the time off of the towers, then isn't this a function of the OS because it's in the OS settings? I'm curious, is all...
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it appears in settings doesn't mean it is part of the Windows Mobile OS. Mike is saying that Samsung (in the case of the BlackJack) and or Cingular decided to add that option after the fact. So in that case you do have the option. Not all Smartphones have that setting.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
ifonline
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, got it. I didn't realize that the carriers/manufacturers had access to the OS like that. I suppose it makes sense.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carriers/ODM's are able to do a fair amount of customization. That is really what they want. They want to make their offerings better than others by adding little customizations and tuning the device to better suit their customers needs. At least, that's what they think they're doing. Wink
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that customization is one of the reasons you don't get updates for the OS from MS. You are at the mercy of the device provider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: