FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
SDA Memory - I'm ready to smash this @#$%& phone!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HTC-based Microsoft Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
algorhythm
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: SDA Memory - I'm ready to smash this @#$%& phone! Reply with quote

No matter what I do, I still get the stupid "low on memory" warning. I don't get it.

I've installed the hack to move all email attachments and IE files to my (1GB) storage card. I don't do music or video on the phone (I prefer an ipod). I don't play games on it. I just use it for phone and email.

I don't have a lot of extra stuff on it. Yet every time I get an email with an attachment of more than 1MB, I get this stupid alert. Evil or Very Mad

I just bought this phone 6 months ago, and as much as I'd like to trash it, that's a tough sell to my (non-geek) wife.

Is there a way to find out what's taking up my memory and clean it out? I'm ready to "accidently" drop this sucker off a building!
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hard reset the phone when you got it? It's possible that the last owner left some things on it that are taking up valueable space.

Also, you might just want to browse around the device from FileManager on your PC and see if there's any large files hanging around in easy to find places. Confused
algorhythm
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the original owner, and yup, I've hard reset it a couple of times just to get rid of my own experiments. (that reminds me....need to see if Sprite backup supports WM5 yet....)

One big challenge is that I'm on a Mac. I use Missing Sync, which is quite good, but I haven't found any overly large files. Guess I'm going to try my XP machine and AS...maybe it'll see something the Mac missed.

(Sigh....) can't I find ONE phone I don't hate as much as I love....?
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

algorhythm wrote:
need to see if Sprite backup supports WM5 yet....)

If it is any consolation, it does now. Smile

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
algorhythm
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good....meanwhile I can't find any humongoid files sucking up my memory, even on the Win machine. I'm becoming increasingly convinced this phone sux. Crying or Very sad Too bad, since in general it's not a bad one. Several of my Mac Geek friends are trying to convince me to get a crackberry, but I just....can't....do it....!
freemans
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need to hard reset your device then tweek the reg keys to chenge saving grocessory thing to your card, I will find out the keys post here later, you can have a try.

I have Sprite Backup on my sm phone, and WM5 is suported since quite a time ago. It will make sure you will get back to healthy when it screws itself up. Smile
freemans
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right, you could try these:

http://www.modaco.com/Useful-Tweaks...do-t230056.html

Or maybe a mem-maid could help

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?contentid=2977

Then Use Sprite Backup to ensure no accidents.

http://www.spritesoftware.com
jeffreybluml
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a silly question, but your storage card isn't getting mounted as Storage Card2, is it?

That would be way too easy...

How large are your mail databases...the .vol files in the root (top level) directory?

I use an SDA and love it, now that I've got everything just so...

Sprite is a lifesaver though, as hard freezes are certainly unaviodable once in awhile, sad as that may be...

Good luck,
algorhythm
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I somehow managed to cold boot the #$%%^* phone last night....the dangers of playing with stuff when you're way too tired. Rolling Eyes So now at least I'm starting with a clean slate. Even with just my Contacts (admittedly over 1000 but still....) and Sprite Backup installed, it's light on RAM....this time I'm installing as many things as possible on the card.

Blackberry Pearl is starting to look good....oh wait, it's also got 64M memory.
freemans
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartphones have small amount of memory and slower processor, so treat the memory nicely. Good Luck! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HTC-based Microsoft Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: