FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
And Another Thing!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: And Another Thing! Reply with quote

Actually another couple of things. We are going to make a little wish list, if you will, of things that should have been in Windows Mobile for Smartphones a long time ago. Now their absence is almost astounding. The number one, or at least my number one, is the lack of built in cut and paste. If any device needs cut and paste it is one with a phone key pad for its only means of data entry. Can anyone explain why we don't have it? Please don't tell me it's because MS doesn't want to write all the applications! This is a basic function!

Next, why can't I delete multiple emails? Why can't I select 10 emails and then delete them at once? Instead I have to do it one at a time.

Here is another one that makes me nuts. I open an email, one that tells me there is a reply to a thread on Smartphone Thoughts for example. I click on the link, go to the web page, read, respond etc. How do I get back to email without having to go back through every last web page or exit the browser back to the home page and then back to email? This ties in with no "x" in the corner to close a program or even minimize it.

Those are just a few of the ones that really bug me. I want to make a list here with your "missing features". I know you all must have a few!

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started using the Dash and I feel the need for following (felt the same when I reviewed the Q):
- Quick way to page up, page down, go to end or top, when reading emails, web pages.
- Better scroll wheel, joggr integration, reducing the number of keystrokes
- Home screen; Microsoft has done a great job with it but when you have the landscape screen, the current home screen method of laying things down vertically wastes horizontal space; not sure if I explained this well enough. Confused
chaznet
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great little app called xBar that'll give you some of what you're looking for. It's primarily a task manager that activates with a press 'n hold of the center button in the navigation pad. If you press it while at a web page you've activated from an email, you can select the email from the list of running apps and quicly switch back to it. It also gives you cut 'n paste Smile

http://xetranet.free.fr/xbar2/?lang...oject=xBar%202#
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but xBar has given many people trouble. Myself included. The main issue seems to be memory leaks. When the application works though, it adds some nice functionality, including cut and paste.

chaznet
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll consider myself lucky then -- in a year of use, on my SDA and now my DASH, I haven't experienced 'memory leaks'.
crispeto
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a dash too. When I'm in a webpage the # 8 and 2 keys let me scroll up and down by page. Is that what you mean or did you mean something else. Also, is there any way to re-program buttons on the dash? Like that tiny little pink one that I never use?
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crispeto wrote:
I now have a dash too. When I'm in a webpage the # 8 and 2 keys let me scroll up and down by page. Is that what you mean or did you mean something else. Also, is there any way to re-program buttons on the dash? Like that tiny little pink one that I never use?

Windows Mobile AKU 2.something enabled the page up page down in pIE. And you can also enable other numeric buttons to switch between various viewing modes. I am looking for the same functionality in the email client and other list controls.

I am sure there is a registry hack to tweak the pink button. Smile
byteme
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that MS thinks having those functions would do more harm than good for the less techie user. Don't you realize that not being to do a multiple delete is a feature Jerry? Wink
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are way too many gripes. If I started listing them, I'd end up switching to Symbian or something.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byteme wrote:
I'm guessing that MS thinks having those functions would do more harm than good for the less techie user. Don't you realize that not being to do a multiple delete is a feature Jerry? Wink

How silly of me of course! Laughing

But look at us, we have to hack the registry to get basic functions! That's nuts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: