FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Gmail Mobile Client is Live
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Gmail Mobile Client is Live Reply with quote

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006...nt-is-live.html

"The new Gmail for mobile client launching today began life as a challenge: What if we could develop a Gmail application for cell phones that was as powerful and as easy to use as the desktop version? What if it ran on hundreds of different mobile devices -- and made it possible to compose, read, and respond to conversations with a bare minimum of clicking and scrolling? What if it enabled you to do things like search your inbox, view your attachments (including pictures and PDF files), and click to call your Gmail contacts? And what if the app were designed to make the whole experience as fast and as seamless as possible?"

And what if the the text size was so small in the application you need a microscope to read it? I'm not kidding either. I could barely read the text. No option to resize it that I could find. I managed to get this MIDlet to work on my 2125 and 3125. No luck on the Q and if you look around you will find this note: "The Gmail application doesn't currently work with T-Mobile USA or BREW-based carriers (e.g. Verizon, Alltel, U.S. Cellular)." Like all Google applications it is primitive looking but it gets the job done and it is free. Just point your Smartphone browser to http://www.gmail.com/app and give it a try.

Source: T-Will

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
palmsolo
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks OK on the T-Mobile Dash and does indeed work with T-Mobile USA so I don't know why Google has that sentence in there. I tried it using my unlimited VPN plan and T-zones and it worked with both connections. The fonts are not as clean as they should be, but it is functional.

Now, on my Nokia E61 it looks and works great. Unlike the browser based Gmail there is attachment support, which can be a big deal for some people too.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what can be done but the text size on both the 2125 and 3125 is almost unreadable. Nothing like the screen shot. Must be a QVGA issue.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
mpaquette
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes this better than the http://m.gmail.com site? Color me lost on this one.
palmsolo
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know if I use the m.gmail.com website access on my Dash the attachments just show up as a line of text stating the attachment name. With this application, photos, Word docs, and PDF files (maybe some others too) actually open up and can be viewed.
sbono13
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Need Java, right? Reply with quote

palmsolo wrote:
It looks OK on the T-Mobile Dash and does indeed work with T-Mobile USA so I don't know why Google has that sentence in there.

Does that mean that the Dash has J2ME support built-in, or did you install a JVM on your own? Same question to Jerry re: the 2125 and the 3125?
palmsolo
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dash has a Java application called Esmertec Java that is built into the ROM. I use it for Google Maps and for this new Gmail application.
SteveHoward999
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works beautifully on my Nokia 6682. Not that that's important on this forum Wink
davetreo300600
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gmail Mobile Client is Live Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:

And what if the the text size was so small in the application you need a microscope to read it? on my 3125.

I also experienced the "tiny text" problem on my 3125. But I just downloaded the midlet to my Sprint Samsung a900 and it worked fine. The text was easy to read on the a900 as opposed to the 3125. I wonder if there is a system seting on the 3125 that can be tinkered with to increase the text size thereon?
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got this app working with the T-Mobile SDA on T-Mobile's $5.99 T-MobileWeb plan? In mine, it sticks at the Loading... screen. Google Maps doesn't work on my SDA either.

I'm sure it works fine with wifi, since gmaps works great with wifi too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: