FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Gmail Mobile Client is Live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshbish
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gmail app doesn't work on Samsung BlackJack i607 Reply with quote

dcharti wrote:
Just got a Samsung BlackJack i607 and love it, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to get the Gmail app to work on it. The app repeatedly asks for permission to use HTTPS for communication, but when I check Smartphone OS permissions for the app, I can't tell it to simply ask once and never again.

Eventually, after 2 or 3 requests, the app simply times out and tells me that I need a working data connection (which I have) to get online.

Any help?

Same problem here. Have you found a fix?
dcharti
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gmail app doesn't work on Samsung BlackJack i607 Reply with quote

joshbish wrote:

No, but from some of my research and poking around, it looks like we simply have to wait for an updated version from Google. The client works fine on the 8525, and I even found posts about an IBM Java Midlet manager that it can work on, but there are way too many quirks for it to be usable. Fonts are all jacked up, and whenever it sends/receives data it turns on the vibrator, and sometimes it seems to crash leaving the vibrator running, and only a power cycle will fix the problem.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Google product, always beta quality. Laughing

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
tmricha
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gmail app doesn't work on Samsung BlackJack i607 Reply with quote

dcharti wrote:
joshbish wrote:

No, but from some of my research and poking around, it looks like we simply have to wait for an updated version from Google. The client works fine on the 8525, and I even found posts about an IBM Java Midlet manager that it can work on, but there are way too many quirks for it to be usable. Fonts are all jacked up, and whenever it sends/receives data it turns on the vibrator, and sometimes it seems to crash leaving the vibrator running, and only a power cycle will fix the problem.

I have the 8525 and I cannot get it to work. I have the same problems/error you do. Where did you hear that it works fine on the 8525 and can you point me to any 'tutorials' if so?

/thanks and Im new here.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly enough, I just tried it on my 8525 and it just worked. I did nothing special.

Welcome to the site tmricha! The 8525 is a Pocket PC Phone device. You might get more help with it over at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com Smile

otterley
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gmail app doesn't work on Samsung BlackJack i607 Reply with quote

dcharti wrote:
Just got a Samsung BlackJack i607 and love it, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to get the Gmail app to work on it. The app repeatedly asks for permission to use HTTPS for communication, but when I check Smartphone OS permissions for the app, I can't tell it to simply ask once and never again.

Eventually, after 2 or 3 requests, the app simply times out and tells me that I need a working data connection (which I have) to get online.

Any help?

I'm trying to start a grassroots campaign to get Samsung to release a firmware update that fixes the Java permissions problem. I called Samsung L3 tech support and they are aware of the issue, but no fix has been scheduled yet.

Everyone affected by this problem should call 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) to ask for help on the issue. After initial triage, your call will be forwarded to level 3 support. Politely explain the issue (no selection to permit network access without further prompting) and ask them what they can do. The more calls they get, the more likely they are to release a fix.

This is the only showstopping issue for me re: the Blackjack. I will return the phone unless a fix is promised from Cingular/Samsung.
tmricha
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Amazingly enough, I just tried it on my 8525 and it just worked. I did nothing special.

Welcome to the site tmricha! The 8525 is a Pocket PC Phone device. You might get more help with it over at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com Smile

Ok, so I just tried it again (actually looking to remove the midlet and "reinstall").... yet it miraculously just worked ?! Maybe I had to hold it at a certain angle.

Thanks for the other link too, I appreciate it.

TMR
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it to work! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: