FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Help pls - Cingular 2125 headset/handset audio issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HTC-based Microsoft Smartphones Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Help pls - Cingular 2125 headset/handset audio issue Reply with quote

update: Nevermind, submitted for a replacement this afternoon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only headset I had within reach was my SMT5600 one today. I plugged it in to my 2125 and now the only mode where I can hear anything on my phone is with the headset attached. Nobody can hear what I say in any mode.

What the heck happened?

Recap...
- I can only hear with the headset plugged in. No matter what profile I am in.
- Nobody can hear me talk... regardless of the profile.

I've powered off the phone a few times, ripped the battery while attempting to check voicemail... for the most part this phone has been flawless until this very annoying issue. It really makes working from home when your mobile is your only phone difficult!

Note: Everytime I power off my phone, it comes back up in the Headset profile. How can I force this to turn off?

Last edited by zeke009 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnthebaton
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: me too! Reply with quote

Wow, this is very interesting -- the exact same thing happened to me a little over a week ago with my SMT5600. Not even a hard reset would fix it. I figured I had shorted the circuit with static electricity or something, so
I just bought myself a T-mobile Dash. However, I would be very interested in plausible solutions, and I'm concerned that this has happened to more than one phone. Who knows, maybe this is why HTC is abandoning the 2.5mm hardware on their newer devices?

One unusual phenomenon: when I unplug my headphone, it sometimes says "normal" for about half a second before switching back to "headset." Does yours do this as well?
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine never changed status, just sat in Headset. I could force a change by selecting another profile, but all that accomplished was making a liar out of my homescreen because it said it was in Normal mode.

The Cingular rep told me that he was recently informed of this and was told it was because the phone jack expands when a headset is inserted and gets "stuck".

Well, they're sending me a replacement. That's the 2nd phone I've had that was unlocked and ended up being returned to Cingular. It happened to my SMT5600 and now my 2125! Oh well, at least I'll get a working device.
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically this is caused by a spec of dust being caught in the headset jack. Try blowing into it a couple times or insert the headset plug in and out for a number of times. It should loosen whatever is stuck and you'll be fine.
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reseated the headset a number of times last night, used a compressed air can from a distance, then got ticked and shoved it in there and no change.

the headset jack is stuck in the "open" state, so my phone thinks a headset is attached.

What a shitty day for that too... headed home early so I wouldn't be trapped at work after a late conference call ended and then get 1.5 hours of drive time home... cell phone goes postal and I miss the call.
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. It's always fixed it for me. Confused
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the highlight to it all is that I didn't not box up my old phone and put it into storage, it was forgotten about in a drawer at home! So I had a working mobile Monday night and Tuesday, too bad I didn't remember about it until the call ended that I needed to join.

I was really amazed at how fast Cingular got a replacement out to me. Ordered Monday night via the RMA service, received Tuesday when I got home! I was pretty impressed!
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeke009 wrote:
I was really amazed at how fast Cingular got a replacement out to me. Ordered Monday night via the RMA service, received Tuesday when I got home! I was pretty impressed!

That isn't a fluke either. I have done this several times with them and it is always quick. Refreshing isn't it? Good customer service.

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
zeke009
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is refreshing... I'll seriously consider buying a new WM smartphone from them in the future, even if it ropes me in to a contract!

Usually I buy them from ebay, in each case they were still within the 1 year warranty so I was able to get them replaced.

But this latest revision of the 2125 is very nice! My other one had the stubborn power button, this one has that button redesigned.
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeke009 wrote:
this one has that button redesigned.

Oh do tell. How did they change it?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HTC-based Microsoft Smartphones All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: