FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Retain Category Filter Settings for Contact in WM 5.0 Smartphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbrinker
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Retain Category Filter Settings for Contact in WM 5.0 Smartp Reply with quote

I just upgraded from the Cingular (Audiovox) SMT 5600 with Windows Mobile 2003 to Cingular 2125 with Windows Mobile 5.0. In Windows Mobile 2003 I was able to set the filter within Contacts (based on Categories), exit the Contact screen and when I return it retains my setting which is great. In WM 5.0 it does not retain that filter setting anymore (always defaults to No Filter) which really sucks. I have a lot of contacts stored, but only use a small amount for normal usage on my phone so using that filter worked great (ActiveSync unfortunately cannot sync folders). Now I have to apply the filter every time I enter the Contacts screen. Am I missing something or did Microsoft remove a useful feature in this new upgraded version of the OS?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not missing anything. It's no longer there. Sad

As for applying it every time, I just use the SmartDial feature and it cuts through my 200+ contacts quickly. I don't miss the filter option at all.
jbrinker
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the smartdial works well, but i have over 600 contacts and found it much easier to place my top 20 into a category & just scroll through those. worked great on my windows mobile 2003 phone. don't understand why that feature would be lost (bug?) in this new version.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was another feature I really liked. Why is it gone now? Who knows. Why does MS always fix things that work fine? Rolling Eyes

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
dmt
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also noticed this after switching from the smt5600 to the T-mo DASH. However, I haven't been able to filter contact catagories at all. the "settings" options is present when first connect the phone and open activesynch, but it's deactivated for contacts unfortunately. What is smartdial, or any other workarounds you guys have figured out?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmartDial is pretty cool. From the home screen (or from inside Contacts) start spelling out the name of the person you are looking for. SmartDial will automatically kick in and filter your contacts down to those that match what you entered. I know that doesn't sound like much, but when you think about using it on a keypad (non-qwerty) device, it's a huge difference. It's like T9 for contacts. So you don't have to push the key multiple times to get the letter you want. SmartDial will figure it out for you.

It still works on QWERTY devices, it just doesn't have to be as smart. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: