FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Continually Changing Time Zone Settings on Cingular BlackJack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Continually Changing Time Zone Settings on Cingular BlackJac Reply with quote

I've been using a Cingular BlackJack for a couple weeks now and it's a great phone. There are some things I liked better on the i320, but the much improved reception on the BlackJack outweighs all those things. One problem I've been having is getting my time zone and time set correctly. When the phone arrived, I was surprised to see that the time was correct. So I never checked the time zone settings on the phone. Silly me. A couple days later I noticed that my appointment reminders were firing long after the events. Confused Checking the time zone settings, I found that my phone was actually set to GMT +4 Abu Dhabi. Now, I should be in GMT -5 Eastern, so that's a big difference. I corrected the time zone and went on about my business. A couple days later, I noticed the same thing again! I was starting to think that I dreamt the last problem. But this happened a couple more times. I keep updating it, but I keep finding that it changes back to GMT +4.

I just noticed that there's a Auto Update field at the bottom of the Date and Time settings page. I'm guessing that Auto Update is referring to the time zone settings, but I don't know for sure. i'll be setting it to No, and we'll see if my device can actually keep the correct time for a change. If anyone else is having this same issue, you might want to look into changing this setting too.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats quite a TZ change! I guess we can't say its because you are close to another TZ. Isn't Eastern -4? I spent a lot of time in Central and it was
-5 I thought. Mine is set to "on" and I haven't seen this happen.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
Thats quite a TZ change! I guess we can't say its because you are close to another TZ. Isn't Eastern -4? I spent a lot of time in Central and it was
-5 I thought. Mine is set to "on" and I haven't seen this happen.

During Daylight Savings it would be -4.

I think it just goes to show you that the carriers can't be trusted to help set the clock on your phone. Laughing
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is set on - time is fine and even determined PST all on its own.

Aren't you in Canookia? The phone just wishes it was in warmer weather?
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
During Daylight Savings it would be -4.

I thought the OS took care of that. Confused
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Dst is managed ok.

I'm thinking user error Jerry, what do you think? Wink
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the cold up there. Messes up the devices. Laughing
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your computers TZ set too? I remember once, way back when, i was having an odd problem such as this. turned out i had the TZ on my computer set to something crazy and it kept changing my phones TZ setting. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whydidnt
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly sounds odd. I think the phones are supposed to be able to pick up the time and timezone off from the cell tower, when that box is checked. It seems that either the BJ isn't reading that right or your local tower isn't configured correctly.

The issue with appointments would be compounded in this situation, due to MS decision to auto-adjust appointments based upon time zone. If you set the appointment while the phone was on Dubai time and then the time zone was adjusted, either manually or by the tower, the appointments would automatically adjust to accommodate the change in time. I have heard stories of people missing their airplanes because of this behavior. Shocked

Because of the issues in my second paragraph, I always turn off the auto update time feature on any of my phones. I often travel between timezones and it's too hard for me work backwords when entering an appointment I will have in the new time zone.
dd-mj
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem 2 weeks ago. I called Cingular support and they asked me to pull the battery and sim card out of the phone. They they said they pushed new information for the phone. When I put the card and battery back in the phone all was good. I have not had a problem since.

Prior to calling Cingular, I had turned on/off/on the phone, changed the time zone, etc. Nothing helped. I am in California and my time zone was being set to a time zone in China.

Originally I thought the problem was due to Facade/Paprus, because the phone date/time were showing differently on the phone then on the calendar.

In the end I think something went wacky on the Cingular side.

So no you are not alone...

Other than that problem - I have had no other problems with this phone. This is by far my best phone ever. It is definitely the best MS based device I have ever owned and I stared with the Philips Velo and Nino - for those who can remember back that far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: