FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
2006: Windows Mobile Smartphone Goes Mainstream
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: 2006: Windows Mobile Smartphone Goes Mainstream Reply with quote

It is that time of the year; time to say bye-bye to 2006 and welcome 2007 in. Before we say bye-bye let's take a look at the Windows Mobile Smartphone world in 2006. We saw a lot of Smartphones, thanks mostly to HTC, we saw stylish Smartphones in all shapes and forms - candy-bar, flip and QWERTY. QWERTY and landscape form-factor has hit a sweet spot, the market loves them. Carriers are offering more than one model, from more than one manufacturer. Smartphones became affordable in 2006; thanks to the model options and carrier discounts we don't have to buy them from i-mate or eXpansys at a heavy price. This was the year of quality. Smartphones with Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU 2.x are probably the most reliable Windows Mobile devices ever, even the critics are raving about them. 2006 will be remembered as the year when push e-mail came to Windows Mobile. There were other minor enhancements in the form of A2DP, Internet Sharing, better battery life and more memory. In short Windows Mobile became a strong contender in the smartphone market. Steve Ballmer even went on record to say that Windows Mobile has no real competition. For me the thing that clearly says that we have hit the mainstream is the media coverage, I am talking about the TV, print and Web advertising spots, news articles and discussions. What are your thoughts? We want to invite our readers to comment on what they liked and didn't like in 2006 about their Windows Mobile Smartphones.
Stinger
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see Smartphones doing so well in North America and it's no wonder since guys get the best devices!

Sadly here in the UK, Smartphones are finding life very tough. When Orange released the SPV C500 (aka Typhoon) a few years back, Smartphones really burst into the mainstream. Everyone seemed to own one and was really excited about Smartphones in general. However, since then it's all fizzled out. I used to see a lot of C500s but these days I hardly see any Smartphones.

I speak to a lot of people about their mobile phone choices and the general theme is that high phone subsidises (a HTC TyTN costs under $200 inc. tax on a 12 month contract) mean that people wanting a Windows Mobile device choose a Pocket PC. People who don't want such a big device or want something more phone-centric tend to choose a Symbian device. Symbian devices (especially from Nokia) are marketed heavily and the range available in the UK is bewildering. I'm the same myself - at present I own a HTC TyTN for productivity and a Nokia N80 for play.

It's no surprise either when you look at how many Smartphones are available from carriers. Orange sell the (wifi-less) HTC Tornado. Vodafone sell the HTC Tornado and the Samsung i320. The other three big carriers (T-Mobile, O2 and 3) don't sell a single Smartphone between them! By comparison, T-mobile sell eight different Pocket PCs models. I'm sure one of the biggest stumbling blocks for carriers is the lack of UMTS Smartphones, though even the MTeoR isn't being sold by any of them.

Maybe the UMTS Motorola Q will change everything in 2007? Smile
kiwi
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. dont include Canada in the North American assumption.

The best mainstream smartphone here is either a Treo 650 or Moto Q.

The Crackberry is the most popular "smartphone" here... I cringe the thought of someone asking if my new TyTN phone is a "new blackberry"

B
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a bit out of touch with the European market, but I was under the impression that the early start is helping the Smartphones. Until about 6 months ago or so, every single Smartphone would launch first on the European network and then get launched in the US. Also HTC's plans to have direct presence in Europe was the other reason.
Stinger
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the case, but I think the US pulling ahead now. Orange decided not to release the HTC Startrek in the UK and the Exalibre is missing from T-Mobile's line-up too. There seems to be a much bigger focus on Pocket PC, presumably because there's a stronger line-up of UMTS Pocket PC devices and the fact that high subsidies negate the cost difference.

The RAZR has been very popular though and I'm sure Motorola will have a hit on its hands when it releases a Q-variant over here. I can't wait to buy a pink one. Wink
macattack
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my year of convergence. I have used unconverged PDAs of just about every ilk you can imagine over the years, but this past February I jumped onto the converged bandwagon. I bought an ETEN M500 (Torq P120 variant actually) -- a truly abysmal machine, with way too little forethought, extremely cheap components, and pitiful execution of the details. I spent months trying to like it and make it work for me. I almost gave up on convergence.

In October I thought I'd give Symbian a try. I got a Cingular E62. If it had worked as advertised, it would have been a truly killer (if somewhat large) device, but it too was not executed properly and did many things poorly (or very slowly.)

I exchanged the E62 for a Cingular 3125. Now this is a sweet package! I thought I would really miss the QWERTY keyboard and Office document editing of my old iPAQ 4355, but I find that I'm getting along fine without editing Office documents and with T9 for Mobile Outlook entries.

My final significant switch of the year? Smartphone Thoughts is now the first page I open on my browser instead of PocketPC Thoughts.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi wrote:
hmm.. dont include Canada in the North American assumption.

The best mainstream smartphone here is either a Treo 650 or Moto Q.

The Crackberry is the most popular "smartphone" here... I cringe the thought of someone asking if my new TyTN phone is a "new blackberry"

B

Yeah, it's pretty sad up here. Sad My i320 / BlackJack always gets comments about being a new BlackBerry. Rolling Eyes

I hope that's going to change in 2007.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macattack wrote:
My final significant switch of the year? Smartphone Thoughts is now the first page I open on my browser instead of PocketPC Thoughts.

Awesome! We love it when we are the first one on your browser, even more so when we hear that we just beat Pocket PC Thoughts. Boo! Pocket PC Thoughts! (don't you love sibling rivalry) Now if we can get the rest of 32000 readers to switch over to Smartphones and Smartphone Thoughts, we can say - mission accomplished. Laughing
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
Awesome! We love it when we are the first one on your browser, even more so when we hear that we just beat Pocket PC Thoughts. Boo! Pocket PC Thoughts! (don't you love sibling rivalry) Now if we can get the rest of 32000 readers to switch over to Smartphones and Smartphone Thoughts, we can say - mission accomplished. Laughing

Cool It's a work in progress. But we'll make it happen soon enough. Wink
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
My i320 / BlackJack always gets comments about being a new BlackBerry. Rolling Eyes

That is one thing I am glad about. No one has called my Dash a BlackBerry. Rolling Eyes Even the thought of it being called a Berry gives me jitters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: