FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
The Wait is Over, T-Mobile Windows Mobile 6 Official Upgrade is Now Available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: The Wait is Over, T-Mobile Windows Mobile 6 Official Upgrade Reply with quote

http://www.t-mobile.com/wmupgrade

Folks, the wait is over! Very Happy If you are a Dash owner then head over the T-Mobile Web site and grab the official Windows Mobile 6 upgrade. This upgrade will definitely keep you busy over the weekend. Do keep us posted on how the upgrade is working out for you, or if it is giving you trouble. In case you are looking for information on Windows Mobile 6 then check out this discussion thread where our readers are talking about the T-Mobile Dash Windows Mobile 6 (leaked version), and check this link for the demo created by Microsoft. For the folks who downloaded and installed the leaked version, it seems like official version has the same ROM version but I would recommend that if you have the time then please re-load the official ROM. And finally, thanks to our reader Prosper for spotting this upgrade.

Update: Edited the link associated with this post, so that it goes to the main T-Mobile Windows Mobile Upgrade page. Now there should be no confusion about the authenticity of the download. Smile

Source: Prosper

Last edited by Kris Kumar on Fri May 04, 2007 6:05 am; edited 3 times in total
zilla31
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First person who can figure out (or tell me how to figure out) if the "leaked" version i installed a couple days ago is any different than the "official" one released today... let me know! I'm sure there are plenty of others with this same question Smile
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention this in my main post:

WARNING: This upgrade will wipe all the data in your device's main memory (not the storage card). So please take a backup of all your data. Run an ActiveSync session to have all the PIM information backed up to Outlook/Exchange. Also, make sure that you don't have any files in the My Documents folder (photos/videos etc).

The T-Mobile Web site says that the upgrade can be run on a Vista machine. But I have my doubts. I would recommend our users to use Windows XP machines. And do not use a USB hub to connect your mobile device. Connect the smartphone to one of the direct USB ports.

Happy upgrading! Smile
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla31 wrote:
First person who can figure out (or tell me how to figure out) if the "leaked" version i installed a couple days ago is any different than the "official" one released today... let me know! I'm sure there are plenty of others with this same question Smile

If you go in to Settings->System Information. The phone will show the ROM version. The number matches the ROM version released by T-Mobile, the number is displayed in the image in the main post.

But as mentioned, if you have the time I would recommend that you upgrade to the officially released version. I can't say there are any advantages, but I think this time you know what all things need to be tweaked and what all programs work; so you can have a clean start and install/tweak the right way. Smile
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Treo 750 lately. This week I switched back to the Dash just to wait for this upgrade.

Now that the upgrade is out, I am stuck at work with no way to upgrade my device for now. Though I did get to download this upgrade at about 2.25MB/sec Laughing
T-Will
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla31 wrote:

The files are the exact same size, but I didn't install the leaked version so don't know for sure. The file properties for both are exactly the same also.

Size: 44721 KB
File Properties -> Version: 4.1.100.1332
KiLLiN-TiMe
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several users over at howardforums are questioning if this rom is the real deal...

Quote:
I really doubt that the link's from Tmobile. It's probably just the same old leaked version othat someone hosted on that site. If you look at Tmobile's statement on the WM6 release on the Dash: "http://www.t-mobile.com/company/PressReleases_Article.aspx?assetName=Prs_Prs_20070 503&title=T-Mobile+Dash+First+in+U.S.+to+Offer+Windows+Mobile+ 6", it clearly states that the upgrade would be downloaded from www.tmobile.com/wmupgrade and it isn't there yet. Give it a few more hours I guess

Quote:
I don't think this is real. To get the download for the MDA you have to provide your phone number, then get redirected to www.t-mobileapps.com, I imagine for the Dash the procedure and site would be the same, someones playing silly buggers here.

Quote:
I don't understand this link... this contradicts everything that Tier 3 told me and said "he was trained on" is this a link to the same file that has been going on.. because I was told by manager of Tier 3 that "it is not the file we are releasing tomorrow and not the file we trained on... I know what was leaked and that was a premature beta"

Don't know if these guys are right, but you would expect that their be a link within the T-Mobile site so that when you pulled up your dash under My T-Mobile you could get to the download.

I may call them later this morning and see what's up.

FWIW
KT
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiLLiN-TiMe wrote:
Don't know if these guys are right, but you would expect that their be a link within the T-Mobile site so that when you pulled up your dash under My T-Mobile you could get to the download.

Here is the Whois information:
http://whois.org/whois_new.cgi?d=t-...pps&tld=com

The site is owned by T-Mobile.

I agree that there should be a direct link from http://www.t-mobile.com/wmupgrade/. It seems to me that the page has not been updated yet.
Contributing Editor-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is done. I now have Windows Mobile 6 on my dash and I love it. No more XT9 bugging me. It's a worthwhile upgrade and kudos to Tmobile and Microsoft for getting it out and making it free!
stephman
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Vista success Reply with quote

Despite warnings of not installing the update using Vista, I did it anyway.
I had a successful install of WM6 on my Dash!

Looking forward to checking out the new features.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> SOFTWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: