FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Why no Office for WM5? (rant)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Just Chattin' Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onlydarksets
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Why no Office for WM5? (rant) Reply with quote

So, I just saw on another site that somebody extracted Office from the WM6 ROM, and people are loading it up on the WM5 phones.

Now, I don't want this to be a thread about pirating software. My rant is that, since this is so obviously not something that has to be cooked into the ROM, and it so obviously is something that MS should have added to WM5 (especially after the Q/BJ/Dash came out), why aren't they offering it as a free add-on for WM5 users? All I need is basic editing, not the tons of features in Docs-to-go.

C'mon MS - do the right thing!
StefanScoon
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Works Great Reply with quote

I got that WM6 office suite on my WM5 blackjack after I saw your post. Works Great!
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Microsoft should release the Office Mobile for WM5 as well. Twisted Evil Now that it has been proven that the Office Mobile can work on the WM5 platform.

I am sure Microsoft has some marketing strategy or justification behind its decision for including Office Mobile in WM6. But I am sure that if Microsoft is interested in promoting the Windows Mobile platform. Then it should release this as a freebie for all the users. This will give the WinMo platform the much needed boost.
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - it's frustrating, no? I think it's part of the whole "marketing value proposition" thing. As in, new OS = new features = new sales of devices. It happens all the time - you don't see Microsoft back-porting Aero Glass onto Windows XP...

Thank you for not posting the links on how to get the software here. Wink
onlydarksets
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem - I had to think about how to phrase it without going over the line, because that other post is what pushed me over the line.

Last week I was trying to decide whether to buy Docs-to-go or wait to see if VZW is going to release WM6 for the Q. As part of that, I thought I would see how much how much money I've spent on software for my Smartphone - it's kind of sickening. To be fair, some of the apps I got for free (through contests) and most of the apps I would not expect MS to develop (e.g., games, wallets, home screen plugins, etc.). However, there is at least $100 in software that MS needs to include in the cost of the OS:
  • Word/Excel editors ($30 Docs-to-go)
  • Backup ($30 Sprite)
  • PIM that supports Exchange ($30 AgendaOne)
  • Easy task/app management ($15 QTasks)

Don't even get me started on Copy/Paste (thank you Vito).

Anyway, seeing that MS could probably release Smartphone Office inside of a week if it chose to really pushed me over the edge. I'm too invested now to go to another platform, and WM6 promises to fix at least one of the problems, but I'm seriously considering a move to PPC Phone - um, I mean, to a Windows Mobile Professional device.
onlydarksets
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Dunn wrote:
I think it's part of the whole "marketing value proposition" thing. As in, new OS = new features = new sales of devices. It happens all the time - you don't see Microsoft back-porting Aero Glass onto Windows XP...

The only problem I have with this analogy is that the market is not structured that I am free to make the decision to upgrade the OS (trust me - I would if given the choice!). OTHER companies get to decide what I put on my hardware. I might as well by a Mac Wink
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we post a story not to long ago that Microsoft was giving OEMs free copies of WM6 to update their current WM5 device lines? If this is the case, there would be no reason to offer Office Mobile for older handsets if they can be upgraded.

Also, while the software can work there is no guarantee that that the carriers or manufacturers would want to give us a free copy of Office Mobile. While Microsoft makes the software, they also have to be respectful to their partners and when you have companies like HTC who have partnerships with companies like ClearVue, it could be a problem.

thats just my 2 cents though Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onlydarksets
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, on your first point - giving WM6 to the carrier doesn't mean that the end-user can upgrade. It merely means the carrier gets to choose if the end-user will be allowed to upgrade. So, my original point stands - MS should offer this directly to the end-users (What if MS gave the DST fix only to the carriers? Can you imagine how livid people would be?).

As for HTC's arrangement with ClearVue, somehow I don't think MS is (or should be) too worried about its partners' partners. Especially at this point, given that HTC is 100% dependent on MS.

I don't expect MS to just give away the farm. However, I think they have held out the WM5 OS as an enterprise platform, but crippled it by not supporting basic Office file editing. Now they have a chance to remedy that and gain a lot of goodwill. Given their recent trend of dumping on their customers, I can't say I'm surprised that they aren't stepping up to go an extra mile for us.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlydarksets wrote:

... somehow I don't think MS is (or should be) too worried about its partners' partners. Especially at this point, given that HTC is 100% dependent on MS.

Unfortunately Microsoft has to. Cell phone industry is flaky. While HTC is dependent on Microsoft, Microsoft is dependent on HTC. It is the biggest manufacturer of WinMo devices. If it decides to make Linux or iPhones then Microsoft will be in trouble. Only Apple has managed to have a upper hand in the whole deal with Cingular.
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Docs To Go a while back, and then bought the new HTC Vox. At first I thought that buying Docs To Go was a waste (I didn't know I'd be upgrading so soon!).

Having briefly used Office Mobile I'd suggest that buying Docs To Go is still the way forward if you want to do much more than view your documents. The versions of the Office Apps you get are very limited and to be honest I can't see myself ever using them after having installed Docs To Go on the new phone. I feel it is what Office Mobile should have been.

My profile might suggest I'm a newbie but I had my first Smartphone back in 2003 with the Motorola MPx200. Went through an Orange C550 and C600 before getting the HTC Vox. That time also included an inexplicable decision to go back to a 'normal' (ie non-Smartphone) phone. Don't know what I was thinking....

Jason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Just Chattin' All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: