FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Dopod Announces Launch of the HTC Cavalier as the Dopod C730
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Dopod Announces Launch of the HTC Cavalier as the Dopod C730 Reply with quote

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3817

"As expected, today Dopod has announced it's C730 Windows Mobile 6 Standard smartphone - also known as longtime delayed HTC Cavalier. This sleek Smartphone is built to empower users who crave power and connectivity. Operated by a powerful 400 MHz processor, the C730 keeps you connected easily with Microsoft Direct Push Technology and 3.5G HSDPA. Measuring only 13.5 mm, this slim device has a built-in high speed 802.11 b/g WiFi connection, while supporting quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE and WCDMA UMTS/HSDPA. The C730 is also equipped with a 5-way navigational button, 3-way smart jog bar and full QWERTY keypad, guaranteeing you seamless navigation, convenient scrolling and easy input for messaging, sending and receiving E-Mails as well as chatting on MSN/Live Messenger. ... Available from early June, the C730 will retail in Singapore at a suggested price of S$ 898/US$ 590/435 Euro. Further APAC availability wasn't announced so far."

Dopod has officially announced the much awaited update to the HTC Excalibur. The HTC Cavalier features 3.5G HSDPA which is the biggest shortcoming of the Excalibur, marketed as the T-Mobile Dash and HTC S620. Dopod seems to the first and the only vendor to have announced the availability of the Cavalier. No carrier has announced its plans to pick up this Windows Mobile Standard edition device. Folks who will buy this device will also receive the BlackBerry Connect software. I believe this is the first HTC device to carry this software. So are you waiting for this smartphone to become available in the stores online?
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dopod Announces Launch of the HTC Cavalier as the Dopod Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
Folks who will buy this device will also receive the BlackBerry Connect software. I believe this is the first HTC device to carry this software.

I still don't understand why someone would even need this. Sure there are tons of companies that paid loads of money for their Blackberry servers and it would be expensive to switch infrastructures... but after RIM's "oops" moment a few weeks ago, you would think that cost would be worth it.

I mean why would you want to use software that can halt an entire nations ability to receive email after a "minor" update is installed to their servers.

I guess I'll just never understand why RIM is still in business. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cortez
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree - punt the Blackberry stuff. i'll take the phone...3G in a compact phone like this will work for me. Pricing is a little higher compared to the HTC s710, but i like the form factor and the exposed keyboard. when will it be avialble?

Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a big market that can be tapped into with the help of BlackBerry Connect. Especially the enterprise market.

One thing I was amazed by the whole BB outage was that people took it in their stride. The main stream media and the blog world didn't raise much of a hue and cry. This is inspite of the fact that RIM didn't issue a statement in a timely manner. Enterprises and people have already forgotten it. They are getting more licenses. Rolling Eyes
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the::wired it will be available in early June. No exact date was given. I am sure we can expect it in the Internet stores around the same time.
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kris. At our company, we use Exchange 2003 SP2 with the Blackberry service - over 1200 employees. A few of us have Win Mobile phones and our IT staff REFUSES to allow us to use ActiveSync or Push on the Exchange box. I really don't like the Blackberrys so I'm stuck using Emoze on my desktop. I will be buying this phone because my company will pick up the tab. It's really the only choice I have, unless we get a new IT Director Wink
saru7755
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally!! i have been waiting for this phone for months, didnt upgrade to the BJ & kept on using my i320 for this beast.. Very Happy
freakygreek
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang I'm almost wishing my order for the Dash doesn't come in.

Cheers
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygreek wrote:
Dang I'm almost wishing my order for the Dash doesn't come in.

nah, the Dash is a better phone, IMHO. It's a lot smaller than this phone.
freakygreek
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me feel better as I just picked up the dash.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: