FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
UNVEILED: Samsung SGH-i620 Windows Mobile Standard Smartphone shows its face
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: UNVEILED: Samsung SGH-i620 Windows Mobile Standard Smartphon Reply with quote

http://www.mobilegazette.com/samsun...20-07x05x30.htm

"No, the Samsung SGH-i620 isn't available yet nor it was announced so far but some carriers hinted its existence already. And now, UK-based website Mobile Gazette posted the first photos and draft specifications of this smart QWERTY slider which is definitely following the SGH-i600 philosophy. While not too much is known yet, Mobile Gazette says, the i620 will be a triband (only) GSM/GPRS/EDGE phone as well as supporting UMTS (supported bands are unknown), featuring two cameras (one with 2 megapixel and photo light). It's expected to be powered by Windows Mobile 6 and closed, the phone measures something around 59 mm width and 94 mm height while opened it's 131 mm"

Wow! Samsung has been very busy since their release of the Samsung Blackjack! I love the shiny metallic look of the device and can't wait until we know more information. While it is only speculation at this moment in time, it would be safe to assume that Samsung might bless us with WiFi on this new device as well. Very Happy

Source: the::unwired
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MitchellO
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is ewww...
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchellO wrote:
All I can say is ewww...

Really? I think it's pretty nice looking. In fact, I think this is going to be my next device - given that it is quad-band, GSM with 3G. I like the simple exterior, and the slide out keyboard doesn't require me to rotate the device or anything - like the Vox / Wizard type devices. I would prefer a red or green, or maybe even blue colored device over the silver, but that's not too big a deal. Mr. Green

Oh, and it has to be thin too. No more bricks for me. Wink
MitchellO
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I really don't like this design. I think the silver looks a bit tacky, and the screen looks really weird amongst the big borders and buttons. With that slider thing it looks like it could be a bit chubby too. The current i600 design is great. It's thin, it's decent looking, and it's black Wink

The BlackJack is great, this is a step back.
hotdram
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the benefit of a slider would be to get a bigger screen. From the picture, it doesn't appear as if the screen is much (if any) bigger than the Blackjack. Maybe I could like it if they made the screen take up more of the front while still retaining "portrait" mode so you don't have to rotate the device ala Vox etc).

My .02c for the day,
~Rob
ARW
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I don't see the advantage of this over the Blackjack. What I'm waiting for is a Smartphone version of the Samsung sch-u740 phone that has a dual-hinged screen form factor that allows both a flip phone mode and a qwerty keyboard "laptop" type configuration.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dig the looks of it. i could go for a bigger screen but i think its neat and tiny looking which is a plus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ugly! The screen is too small, and its just tacky. Its definitely a step back from the i600.
scottb
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks ok, but I don't like slider keyboards. They tend to make the device thicker and they always feel "loose" to me.

This statement from the preview article is a little strange:
"The design of the Samsung i620 is certainly appealing. If you're not using the QWERTY keyboard, then the simple controls allow access to most of the phone's functions without opening it up.. and if you want to type then the sliding keyboard is a no-compromise approach that may well give the best of both worlds."
Access most of the phone's functions without opening it up? How would you dial a phone number? Wink How many Smartphone functions don't require key presses?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottb wrote:
Access most of the phone's functions without opening it up? How would you dial a phone number? Wink How many Smartphone functions don't require key presses?

Well, the Home, Back and control pad are all on the front of the device - along with the call and hang up keys. I do a fair amount with just those keys. If you have shortcuts to your most used apps on your home screen, you should be able to do it no problem. If not, it's just a little scrolling, but nothing too bad. Stuff like playing games, updating the weather on Fizz, or browsing the web or even email. There's a lot you can do with out the keypad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> HARDWARE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: