FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Windows Mobile 6 Upgrades Available for Free to Existing Vendors
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Windows Mobile 6 Upgrades Available for Free to Existing Ven Reply with quote

Everyone has been wondering if their device will see an update to Windows Mobile 6. In the past, very few manufacturers and carriers have gone down that path. There's a significant cost required in buying the new license and customizing it for the device and of course, testing it on the device and networks. Hopefully things will be different this time. We've just learned that Microsoft has given a free license to vendors who will upgrade their devices. So I think it's clear that Microsoft understands the frustration that all of us feel when a new OS is released and are trying to change things. It's expected that HTC will offer upgrades for any device with a keyboard - as all of you Dash/Excalibur users are already aware. Unfortunately we don't know what Motorola or Samsung plan to do about this. The ball is in the carriers and manufacturers court. Let's hope they don't drop it. Confused
bystander
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly in the hands of others but this is when we must ramp up the interest and power of the purchaser.

I have already contacted my device manufacturer (HTC and the Cingular 3125). It was much harder to find someone other than customer service to voice my concern at Cingular but I have done this as well.

If the WM5 non-keyboard device owners want to have a say in their device future. EACH should contact the manufacturer AND the carrier to build the pressure on each to remember ALL WM5 device owners.

We have paid well for our devices, we should not be forgotten. We have a chance to influence them if we will but take a few minutes to send the email.

Please do not let yourself put this off.....

Idea
Bill Harrison
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, my 2125 is in great shape, and I would love some of the advantages WM6 offers. I have seen it demoed on this style unit, so its out there somewhere!

Bill
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still too many chefs. The carriers AND the manufacturers. I don't like those odds!
Foxbat121
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one excuse less for Carriers to deny us the upgrades. Certainly a good step forward. The way I see it, there are two more to overcome:

(1) Device makers willing to spend time and $$ to develop ROMs for WM6.
(2) Carriers willing to take the risk of failed ROM upgrades (it does happen from time to time).

I still can't believe my 8125 will see a WM6 upgrade.
dorelse
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'd love an upgrade to my SDA...I plan to voice my opinion to t-Mobile.
apeguero
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any devices with a keyboard? Does that mean that my 8525 has hope to see an "official" upgrade? I'm waiting for the XDA-Developers Home Brew WM6 upgrade just to be safe. Why devices with a keyboard Mike? Is there a reason for that? Does it mean that my 2125 is SOL?
Edgar
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the link. Everytime I try to click the headline I get the adword link and go to live search. *sigh*
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apeguero wrote:
Any devices with a keyboard? Does that mean that my 8525 has hope to see an "official" upgrade? I'm waiting for the XDA-Developers Home Brew WM6 upgrade just to be safe. Why devices with a keyboard Mike? Is there a reason for that? Does it mean that my 2125 is SOL?

I wouldn't count too much on XDA-Devs, Microsoft has told them to pull all the illegal ROMs. So there's not much chance of one showing up there.

I don't know why HTC is only upgrading devices with a keyboard. That's just what I was told. Perhaps they don't see a need, or maybe WinMo6 is a little larger than the candy-bar phones can handle since they don't tend to have as much memory as the newer models. Just a guess. But that's what I was told.

Last edited by Mike Temporale on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar wrote:
Can you post the link. Everytime I try to click the headline I get the adword link and go to live search. *sigh*

There is no link for source on this. We're the source. Well, us and our anonymous source. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: