FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
.NET, Smartphone, Rock n' Roll in Online Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jctune
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reponses guys - now I just have to decide if I'm ready to re-learn how to code or not!
Neil
Demo Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that programming .NET is a heck of a lot easier than what you used to use. I'm by no means a developer, and I hadn't written anything of substance in several years. The cool thing about .NET is you don't have to waste a ton of time learning intricacies of a language (like C++), nor do you have to spend ages trying to figure out which random library you need to link with which other random library to make everything work.

The base class libraries are very helpful and do a lot of the work for you. Once you know which library to use (and there are a ton of samples around, check out sites like www.opennetcf.org ), it's really fun!

If you want a good book, two of my reports who have never programmed before found the Ugly Man book quite useful (at least that's what we call it!). http://www.wrox.com/books/0764543822.shtml
Neil
Demo Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MSDN! Give your head a shake!

So I sent your rant to the folks at MSDN *grin*. The reason the .wmv is wrapped up in a .exe is two-fold:

1) It allows us to include a EULA that the user sees after download
2) It's the only format supported by the microsoft.com download center

Both of these requirements come from MS Legal.
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil wrote:
1) It allows us to include a EULA that the user sees after download
2) It's the only format supported by the microsoft.com download center

Both of these requirements come from MS Legal.

A EULA? For a video file? Shocked Why doesn't customer convenience play a factor here? Betcha' it would if I sued Microsoft if a sprained my wrist while trying to execute a video file. Laughing

Shakespeare had it right about what to do with lawyers. Twisted Evil
brntcrsp
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to thank Neil and Ori for their presentation. With the release of the Smartphone SDK I whipped out the same demo in about as long as it took them (you guys said your machine was pokey, bah!). My only realy trouble was to discover the web service you guys used. Thankfully the WS wizard screenshot was clear enough to read Smile Now all that remains is to get my hands on a next-gen device...

Thanks guys!

PS - I think it's great to have real interaction with the teams on new products like this. Helps kindle a belief in the community.

PPS - funny that neil is a smartphone pupil
jctune
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my copy of Visual Studio and have been playing around a bit. Of course my first attempt was to duplicate Ori and Neil's demonstration.

While doing this, I ran into a problem that I have since duplicated in another circumstance, so I wanted to see if anyone knows what's going on. In the demo, after adding the proper web reference, they initialize a new temperature service object with the following statement:
Code:
WS.TemperatureService myService = new TemperatureService(); (I may be a little off, but it's close).

When I try to build with this statement, I get the following error:

Code:
The type or namespace 'WS' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference)

I've been able to get around this error by copying the full class reference for TemperatureService (something like [appname].net.xmethods.service.TemperatureService instead of WS.TemperatureService).

I've since duplicated this when playing around with StringCollections. The following code gets me the exact same error (just with 'StringCollection' instead of 'WS'):
Code:
StringCollection testCollection = new StringCollection();

But if I put in the whole class, it works just fine:
Code:
System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection testCollection = new System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection();

I've double and triple checked that I'm including the correct using statements, but I can't figure this out. It's not fatal, but still a bit annoying.

Any ideas?
Robert Levy
Smartphone Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "using" statements have to go at the top of each file. Please post a copy of these lines from the file in question.
jctune
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Thanks for the quick response - here goes:

From my Weather app (to duplicate the app from the presentation)
Code:
using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Collections;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Data;
using System.Web.Services;

I had just noticed that the System.Web.Services reference wasn't there originally, but adding it didn't make a difference.

For my other app, I didn't realize that the using statements had to be in each file. I had created a new file within my solution for a new class, and had not included the using statement in the new file, it worked. Who would have thought it?

Any thoughts on which reference I'm missing in the first example?
brntcrsp
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grabbing my code right now.

hrm, well my reference code was automagically generated when I created the reference to the web service. Do you have a "Reference" folder under your project folder? You may want to check the namespace in the reference.cs and see if it matches/inherits from the application namespace.

Additionally, the using
Code:
using System.Web.Services;
falls under the Resource.cs file because the parent does not explicitly need access to those resources.

For your second project, if it inherits from the first file then the using would be inherited as well. I suspect my jargon may be a bit off but I hope the intention is clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: