FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
.NET, Smartphone, Rock n' Roll in Online Show
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Sjostrom
Editor Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: .NET, Smartphone, Rock n' Roll in Online Show Reply with quote

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

If you think Smartphones are cool, you should meet some of the guys and gals behind it! Meet Neil Enns and Ori Amiga, Lead Program Managers, in this MSDN TV online broadcast. They demonstrate how to build an online weather application in less than five minutes using Visual Studio .NET 2003, Visual C# and a next generation Smartphone device. Next generation Smartphones will have .NET Compact Framework in ROM which means that developers can use Visual C# or Visual Basic .NET to develop Smartphone applications.

<rave>Even if you are not a developer, you should check this out! Neil and Ori rock. I've had the privilege of meeting them in person and they simply rock.</rave>

The demo shows how you can, with just two lines of code, create an online Web Services enabled Smartphone application! The application is shown to run both in an emulator and on a real device. Very cool!

Source: David McNamee
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. It's nice to see that it's as easy on the Smartphone OS as it is for PPC and the PC.

Too bad the SDK isn't available for a while longer. Sad I wish they wouldn't tease us like this. Wink
Hooked
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a demo. I want a beta!
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why Microsoft sometimes makes things harder than they need to be - why bundle a media file in an exe file? It's not like you can compress a WMV file very much... Rolling Eyes

UPDATE: They shaved 300 KB off a 27 MB file by bundling it an exe package, and nullified the ability of WMP to stream the data, forcing the user to download it. MSDN! Give your head a shake! :ninja:
kennyg
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a nice little demo, but it's no where close to any type of real functioning application. The web services piece is the easiest part of any coding now-days. I could have done the same thing in Java years ago, two controls on a form is the farthest thing from reality you can get.

If you noticed, they didn't establish a GPRS or any other type of data connection, or monitor it. That requires access to an API that is barely accessable from the .NET CF (Connection Manager). The .NET CF is still in its infantcy and has a long way to go before it is useable in a wide array of application scenarios.

Kenny.
Neil
Demo Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neil and Ori rock. I've had the privilege of meeting them in person and they simply rock.

Geez, Andy. Ori spent the whole day walking around work with a swelled head! Razz Seriously though, thanks for the kind words.
Neil
Demo Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a nice little demo, but it's no where close to any type of real functioning application. [...] If you noticed, they didn't establish a GPRS or any other type of data connection, or monitor it.

Hey Kenny,

You're right, it's definitely not a real application. It's tough to try and show a demonstration of building a complete, end-to-end, application in the 15 minutes we had. Still, we hope what we were able to show gets people excited about using the tools. We've done other presentations in the past at TechEd and MDC that show some more in-depth development. One excellent example is of a real-estate application that is written in .NET CF, uses SQLCE for data storage, and SQL Server Notifications for new house listings. It's very nifty, and the tools and techniques are the same as the ones we demo'ed in the MSDN clip.

Regarding GPRS, the nice thing about web services on PPC and SP is that you don't actually have to use connection manager. You just access the web service object and .NET CF will bring up the connection for you as necessary. We didn't show this in the demo since we wanted to illustrate debugging, but if we hadn't been connected to ActiveSync the SP device would have connected via T-Mobile's GPRS with the exact same code. You can give this a whirl today on a PPC device.
jctune
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil,

I haven't programmed in years - but I've got some ideas for a few smartphone apps bouncing around in my head. A couple of questions for you:

1. Is it safe to say that an application developed for SP2003 using .NET will not be backwards compatible with SP2002?

2. I'm a little fuzzy on this web services thing. I searched the net, and couldn't find an answer to my simple question - are there a lot of publicly available web services? For example, is that temperature service available to anyone to use? If there are a lot, where can I go to get a listing?

Sorry if these questions are a little basic - but I'm trying to understand these things. Thanks for the demo.
Robert Levy
Smartphone Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jctune wrote:

1. Is it safe to say that an application developed for SP2003 using .NET will not be backwards compatible with SP2002?

That is correct. .NET apps will only work on Smartphone 2003 and later.

jctune wrote:

2. I'm a little fuzzy on this web services thing. I searched the net, and couldn't find an answer to my simple question - are there a lot of publicly available web services? For example, is that temperature service available to anyone to use? If there are a lot, where can I go to get a listing?

There are a lot of them available that you can use - plus its really easy to create your own. The most popular ones are provided by Google, Amazon, and the MapPoint team at Microsoft. A large catalog of others can be found at http://www.salcentral.com
Neil
Demo Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grabbed the weather service from www.xmethods.net which lists a bunch of web services. I've never actually seen salcentral, I'll have to check it out!

The specific web service we used was GlobalWeather, available at http://www.capescience.com/webservi...globalweather/.

As Robert replied, .NET apps built for the next generation Smartphone won't work on Smartphone 2002. You need the .NET CF runtimes and whatnot, and we are not going to release them for SP2002.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: