FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
MDC 2004 Highlights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
possmann
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these all from Moto?

WOW

Drool.....
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possmann wrote:
Are these all from Moto?

WOW

Drool.....

No...

These are Mock up designs...concepts..that Microsoft is taking to the OEMs (and carriers) to convince them of the potential of the Windows Mobile platform.

Kris
ShivShanks
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MDC 2004 Highlights Reply with quote

kris_kumar wrote:
He mentioned that Sprint will have Smartphones on their networks soon. But no dates, no model.

Woo hoo! Thats at least some progress ... Finally WM Smartphones have a glimmer of hope of coming to the provider with the best data plans in the US ... Now I just need the CDMA version of the MPx and I would be all set ... Bliss Very Happy ...
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Pocket PCs will come in varying shapes, sizes and form factors – Clam shells, with (slideout) keyboards (yay!).

- Home Screen implementation to be unified between Pocket PC and Smartphone. Next gen Home Screens will be XHTML based

So these 2 items combined with some of those concept designs.... What's the difference between a Smartphone and a PDA again? Because this line is getting very hard to see. Laughing
ShivShanks
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Quote:
- Pocket PCs will come in varying shapes, sizes and form factors – Clam shells, with (slideout) keyboards (yay!).

- Home Screen implementation to be unified between Pocket PC and Smartphone. Next gen Home Screens will be XHTML based

So these 2 items combined with some of those concept designs.... What's the difference between a Smartphone and a PDA again? Because this line is getting very hard to see. Laughing

In Microsoft's case: A touch screen. Too bad the WM Smartphone doesn't have one. I think eventually Microsoft will be forced to grow up the Smartphone version a bit and add even more phone friendly features to the WM PPC. Eventually it might make sense to the merge the two and have one OS in the future. This is certainly one big advantage the Palm camp has. They have one unified OS regardless of the shortcomings. They can always improve the core OS to support phones better and so still have one OS. Something thats going to be tough for Microsoft to match in the short term at least.
Kevin Daly
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While most of this is exceedingly groovy (did I really use that word?), I'm a little nervous about Today screens being XHTML-based.

Haven't we been there with desktop Windows, and was it not one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time ("Cool! I can configure my desktop with HTML and script!") but turned out in practice to be more...well, um sort of a pain in the <ahem> if you actually tried to do it?

XML configuration is great, but XHTML-based Today screens on the other hand are something I'm going to be observing with interest but healthy scepticism.

And it's not just because I'm a grumpy member of the 36-50 age group (apparently). Honest.

Last edited by Kevin Daly on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
Quote:

As ShivShanks said Touch Screen is one of the differences.

- Memory : SP uses Flash memory for user data. PPC uses SDRAM.
- Power Consumption : SP's are supposed to be more stingy.
- Also the screen size + resolution specs for both are different. This also lays down specs for the overall physicall size of the SP / PPC.

As the hardware tech evolves, I agree Microsoft will have to merge the two into one. Which should'nt be much of a problem, because they branches of the same WinCE.NET core.

Kris
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Daly wrote:
I'm a little nervous about Today screens being XHTML-based.

Well I think I would be too...

But the benefits will far exceed the flaws. The one benefit I see is that (this is my take on why MS wants to do it XHTML way) it will reduce the overall OS code size. Currently the home screen has to be rendered using a special app/code. With XHTML I am guess they will be running another instance of pIE to render the home screen page. This way one code/app can do multiple tasks - regular browser and home screen engine.

And by getting rid of unwanted code, they can squeeze in more features Smile

Kris
Kevin Daly
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris_kumar wrote:
But the benefits will far exceed the flaws. The one benefit I see is that (this is my take on why MS wants to do it XHTML way) it will reduce the overall OS code size. Currently the home screen has to be rendered using a special app/code. With XHTML I am guess they will be running another instance of pIE to render the home screen page. This way one code/app can do multiple tasks - regular browser and home screen engine.

Point taken.
Of course, doing it with a mini-XAML engine would be waaaaay cooler Razz
(Sorry, I'm just having all these delusional thoughts at the moment about Longhorn/Windows Mobile convergence. It must be the pills I'm not taking Shocked )
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris_kumar wrote:
As ShivShanks said Touch Screen is one of the differences.

- Memory : SP uses Flash memory for user data. PPC uses SDRAM.
- Power Consumption : SP's are supposed to be more stingy.
- Also the screen size + resolution specs for both are different. This also lays down specs for the overall physicall size of the SP / PPC.

Touch screen aside, the rest of these are "small-ish" differences. There isn't much that seperates the two platforms. This is really going to make it difficult for the consumer to select which device and OS would best fit there needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> DEVELOPER All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: