FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
MPx220 Available Soon From Cingular
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsaintsyouth
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Price tag out at Best Buy Cingular Display Reply with quote

Beowulf wrote:
I went to my local best buy in Downers Grove, IL, and I saw the price tag for the mpx220 next to the other Cingular phones, but no phone was on display. The price on it was $349 with a 2 year contract. There was another note on the price tag that said there would be a $150 up-charge if you purchased it without activation. On the specs it said that the phone had 64mb of memory (I read some rumors of a 32mb version). When I asked about buying the phone they said they did not have any in stock, and they were not sure when it would come in.

I'm currently on the ~18 month mark of a Cingular contract. Best Buy said I would have to ask Cingular about the possibility of upgrading without the $150 charge. Does anyone have any experience with Cingular doing this?

FYI if an admin reads this it might be a good time to create a Cingular forum Smile

That's such crap--2 year contracts with cell phone companies? Geez, in Orlando we had Aerial Communications which became Voice Stream, which became T-Mobile, like all in less than 2 years. Cell phone companies are a dime a dozen and yet they make you get locked into these ridiculous contracts. Anybody remember PrimeCo (which is now part of the Verizon network now)? PrimeCo had NO contracts if you didn't want them--I think Sprint was the same way at one point.

I'm on Nextel--every time you upgrade a phone (and believe me, the discounts are nothing if you sign a contract--maybe $50 off of a $250 phone) you have to re-commit to another 2 years. That's crap! VoIP is going to knock cellular right out of business soon but AT&T, Cingular & Nextel are in no hurry to upgrade to VoIP--why? B/c all of us are stuck in 2 year contracts. It's garbage. I don't have a problem with 1 year, but with the way the industry changes, it seems to me that 2 year contracts are anti-competition, but if you don't sign them, you can't afford a good phone!

Anybody know when the i930 is coming out for Nextel? I already put an ad in the newspaper to sell my extra organs to pay for it.

-Jeff
smartphone fan
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Price tag out at Best Buy Cingular Display Reply with quote

Beowulf wrote:
I went to my local best buy in Downers Grove, IL, and I saw the price tag for the mpx220 next to the other Cingular phones, but no phone was on display. The price on it was $349 with a 2 year contract. There was another note on the price tag that said there would be a $150 up-charge if you purchased it without activation. On the specs it said that the phone had 64mb of memory (I read some rumors of a 32mb version). When I asked about buying the phone they said they did not have any in stock, and they were not sure when it would come in.

I'm currently on the ~18 month mark of a Cingular contract. Best Buy said I would have to ask Cingular about the possibility of upgrading without the $150 charge. Does anyone have any experience with Cingular doing this?

FYI if an admin reads this it might be a good time to create a Cingular forum Smile

Same problem. I have a new cingular account ( less then one month old). They would allow me to buy the 220 for the $349, but I needed a new contract for two years. Cingular would treat it as an upgrade.

It seems that for the US, it is best to wait a month for the generic versions to appear at internet stores. Then you could just pop in your SIM and not worry about contracts...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: