FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Subscriber Services & Mobile Access for Smartphone Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> UPDATE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encece
Smartphone Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words.....

FREE STUFF! Very Happy
Raven
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah! those too... Laughing
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
btw, I really like the way you folks organized the software section. Very neat with helpful descriptions. Time to start buying some of 'em...trial's are starting to expire Wink

Actually, that's Smartphone.net, not us (they just made our affiliate store look like this site), but I'll pass along the compliment to them. Wink
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does everyone feel about SMS Blasts? Just a simple SMS sent to your device that is only sent out when a new front page post is made, and it only contains the subject line. -- Keeping it short and simple.

This is just a random thought I had this morning, but it would be a pretty cool feature. Thoughts?
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Dunn wrote:
Raven wrote:
How about a "software of the week" link (shareware or freeware) right up front which we can install OTA. Quite a few users are signing up for unltd data plans nowadays.

Are you thinking of something that would appear on the mobile version of our site - a link that would download a CAB file?

Ah... Sorry Raven. I misunderstood your suggestion. Sounds like a neat idea.
Marlof Bregonje
Editor Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
How does everyone feel about SMS Blasts? Just a simple SMS sent to your device that is only sent out when a new front page post is made, and it only contains the subject line. -- Keeping it short and simple.

Sure, that sounds like a very cool idea!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:

This is just a random thought I had this morning, but it would be a pretty cool feature. Thoughts?

Sounds good, make it happen Smile

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want "My Favorite Threads".

Anytime I find a thread I want to monitor for new posts. I add it to My Favorite Threads. And on my mobile phone under My Favorite Threads I will see only those 5-10 threads that I am currently participating in or monitoring.

Saves time. Faster loads Don's have to go into Discuss, then the Forum, Thread and scroll through etc.

I don't mind if it is limited and has an automatic 5-10 day expiry.

Be able to reorder the Forum listing or select the Forums that I want to access from the Mobile phone. I want to monitor only Hardware, News, Software, T-Mobile and Motorola Smartphones. Don't want to see other Carrier/Manufacturer forums, Developer etc.

SMS idea is cool. Smile Should send the link also. Smartphones let you click on the link and launch the web page. But the size may exceed 160 or whatever is the SMS size.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After re-reading this thread, I think Kris and I are venturing down the wrong path. Although these may be nice features to have, they really don't fit in the scope of what we're trying to do at this time.

So, currently we have:
  • Mobile Forums Smartphone compatible - Done
  • discounts on games and software - we'll look into this
  • Free Stuff - Erm... Like?
So what about things like:
  • Vaja discounts - like PPCT has
  • hardware discounts - Sync & Charge cables, Headsets, Chargers, Batteries?
  • Exclusive subscriber homescreen
  • Exclusive subscriber Ringtones
  • personal Media Folder - like PPCT & DMT has
We want to make Subscriber services something that everyone will find value in. So now is the time to speak up and share your thoughts.
encece
Smartphone Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
[*]Free Stuff - Erm... Like?

I dunno. Whatta ya got??? I just like free stuff! ;D

Seriously and Respectfully....

I'm ALL for supporting websites that I visit everyday to help pay for server/hosting costs, expenses, etc. I visit this site everyday and would donate on that basis. I already subscribe/donate to a few.

But it also has advertisments, hardware and software stores, etc...in other words...it already generates money for someone. (how much/little is a different story!) Discounts are great but require me to spend additional money to benefit from them, which is generating additional money for someone. The ThoughtsMedia sites are a business, and if I am going to contribute to that income...I'd like to see some additional value for my money.

Giveaways and Contests are great...but you actually have to follow through and give the stuff away eventually. Wink

Double entries to subscribers is a nice idea. When a valuable item is won (like a phone possibly, or SD Media, etc) the subscription then seems well worth the price. Even when someone else wins (which is always the case for me! Smile ) it's still fun and I still see value in that. Especially when you see a familiar, contributing member win...not the one post member. It shows the site is giving back.

Most items can probably be obtained as promotional advertisment from the manufacturer. That fact that someone behind the scenes is working to obtain these items shows the site is working for it's members as well as for it's own promotional interests.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all about "what's in it for me". The site is great and provides a great source of information and entertainment for me. I am thankful for everyone's hard work. I enjoy contributing in the forums and reading the front page news.

You have waited for Smartphones is the US to really break before beginning subscription services on SPT. Waited for it to be worth it, I guess. But if the site is going to start accepting money...respectfully...let's see some harder work here.

- More original and breaking news & reviews. Not just copies of news/reviews from other sites.
- More forum participation from the Mods and Founder helping out users, especially the newbies. (I hate ZERO reply posts.)
- Some incentives/promotion to pump up US development of software, plugins, homescreens, etc for the Smartphone platform. Everything is coming out of the UK & EU. This is the site that could spark the creative juices of our many US developers (hobbyists and professionals).

I mostly troll around Modaco where I help moderate. 2500+ posts there and thousands of page hits which equates to god-only-knows how many hours of mis-spent time. It's great as there are a ton of members, many of whom actually write software, tweaks, plugins, homescreens, etc. Most of the tweaks and tips originate from there. (Grant it, they've had smartphones longer than us). Their forums definitely hold a greater knowledgebase than here. But it is definitely geared toward UK and Europe in some areas when it comes to Carrier/Network support, Location specific software, contests limited to UK eligibility, etc.

I'd really like this site to be the premier US Smartphone website. That's the value for me.

PS. I also think things like homescreens, ringtomes and especially the mobile version of the forums...should all be free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> UPDATE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: