FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
"Virtual Smartphone" for Windows Media Player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Multimedia Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfreiman
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: "Virtual Smartphone" for Windows Media Player Reply with quote

I have an SMT5600 and use WMP10 to sync my music and video files to my Smartphone.

However, I don't always want my phone connected when I am doing this. Especially if I am syncing several videos/tv shows or refreshing all my albums.

Is there a utility which will act as a "virtual Smartphone" to WMP on the desktop so that I can do all the conversion/transcoding without my phone connected and just connect it for the file transfers?

I know why this may not be possible since WMP10 has DRM etc, but these files are mine and not signed with a DRM signature.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of. Might not be as convenient on a 5600 as on an MPX220 though, since your mini-SD is inside.

You can have MP10 on the desktop sync to the Mini-SD in a card reader...if you don't need the DRM, and you don't need any conversion done. Then just stick the mini-SD in the phone.

The conversion I'm talking about is mostly for video. If MP10 recognizes a Pocket MP10 capable destination it will convert dvr-ms, avi, etc, to compressed wmv as it copies. It won't do that for an pocket MP9 device or a memory card by itself.
jfreiman
Smartphone Theorist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, I really don't want to remove the card from behind the battery.

I'm not opposed to the design decision, since it's one less opening for dirt, etc to enter the phone.

Also, that would still not allow me to copy over my video. Sad

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
4clubchamps
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: How do you get WMP 10 to read the files on your MiniSd card Reply with quote

When I click the WMP 10 icon it only looks at internal memory and not my storage card, how can I change this

Stan
ditch_azeroth
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if this will help but try using wm5storage - practically turns your phone into card reader and can let you transfer files via copy paste method... perfect if you have had encoded your videos using pocketdivx encoder and play it on TCPMP... ^_^
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you get WMP 10 to read the files on your MiniSd c Reply with quote

4clubchamps wrote:
When I click the WMP 10 icon it only looks at internal memory and not my storage card, how can I change this

Stan

My best guess is get a phone with WMP10 on it. I'm guessing yo have MP9 on your device. The fancy connection to flash cards didn't work for MP9 because the DRM stuff wasn't ready for removable media. You could drag stuff to the flash card with explorer and play non-protected stuff but MP wouldn't support it. If I'm wrong about the MP 9 thing, let us know. Could be some other issue if your PPC/phone actually has MP10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Multimedia All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: