FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Linux Ships More Smartphones Than Windows Mobile in Q1 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THE COMPETITION Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Linux Ships More Smartphones Than Windows Mobile in Q1 2005 Reply with quote

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8804000399.html

"Embedded Linux powered 14 percent of smartphones shipped worldwide in Q1 of 2005, up 412 percent from 3.4 percent in Q1-04, according to Gartner. Windows Mobile Smartphone shipments also grew, rising 50 percent from a 2.9 share in 1Q-04 to 4.5 percent in 1Q-05."

It's important to note that Gartner did not include any Pocket PC Phone devices in their numbers. I'm sure if you added in those numbers, the Linux and Microsoft numbers would be closer together. This is my biggest complaint about all these different surveys. There needs to be a standard clear cut definition of the different types of phones so we can compare numbers on an even playing field. They neglected Pocket PC based phones, but allowed a number of Linux based PDA phones (with stylus). Regardless, Linux has made a very impressive improvement in their rankings. It appears that Microsoft has more than just Symbian to worry about.
surfer
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike any info on wich manufacturers it is in each segment?
MS Mobiles
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please observe: many so called "Linux smartphones" can run only Java 3rd party software and they are blocked from running native Linux software... so they are not really smartphones in the sense "running native apps from the OS".
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfer wrote:
Mike any info on wich manufacturers it is in each segment?

Unfortunately, no. Gartner is charging for this report. The article I linked to above has the most information of any of the articles I found on this, and it focuses more on the linux side of this. Not the hardware.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Ships More Smartphones Than Windows Mobile in Q1 2 Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
It appears that Microsoft has more than just Symbian to worry about.

Maybe, but who really wants to dial their phone from a command line Wink
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm surprised. It's still hard to get a WM Smartphone over here, especially if you're on CDMA. Sad Progress has been made, but MS needs to work harder with the OEMs and carriers to get new Smartphones on the market.

--janak
Stinger
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess can why there was such a big jump in Linux's market share - Japan.

I believe that NTT DoCoMo has just released it's first Linux-based handsets and they've obviously been selling very well.

I have to agree with MS Mobiles though, that it's questionable whether these are actually smartphones. They've certainly got a non-propreitary operating system, but NTT DoCoMo's phones (both Linux and Symbian) are locked down so that they will only run Java 3rd party apps.

Still, it shows that Microsoft has got a fight on it's hands from three main competitors now - Symbian, Palm and Linux. Hopefully this will keep Microsoft on their toes and stop them from forming a monopoly. Competition is always a good thing and it'll only lead to better Microsoft products. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THE COMPETITION All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: