FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
T-Mobile Offers Free WiFi to Hurricane Effected Regions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: T-Mobile Offers Free WiFi to Hurricane Effected Regions Reply with quote

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,175...3129TX1K0000605

"In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, T-Mobile USA Inc. said it will offer its Wi-Fi services without charge to the general public of the tri-state area, including Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. T-Mobile said that the services will be free until the end of the week, and possibly beyond that if the situation warrants it. Mobile service locations include Borders, FedEx/Kinko's, Starbucks, Hyatt Hotels, Red Roof Inn motels, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and US Airways. According to the company there are 66 locations in the affected area, some of which may have intermittent hours due to storm damage inflicted during the hurricane and the subsequent flooding."

While I feel for those dealing with effects of hurricane Katrina, I don't think that free WiFi service is what these people really need right now. With 80% of New Orleans being under water, I think free WiFi access would be the last thing they are looking for. Hey T-Mobile, you want to help? How about free unlimited local calling in the effected region! I think that would be far more useful at this time.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks with cell phones have enough minutes on their plans that local or long distance calling is not a super issue. Finding service and finding a place to charge your phone is an issue. Even if you find power, your charger is likely at home, or in your car, which you may not be able to get to. Besides that the circuits are crowded enough without them being free.

Wifi access at hotspots would allow folks to send out a quick e-mail or IM to let relatives know they are OK and where they are. It was two days before we heard from my brother-in-law.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven wrote:
Wifi access at hotspots would allow folks to send out a quick e-mail or IM to let relatives know they are OK and where they are.

I agree, the whole point is to let others know you're ok, and while free WiFi is nice, chances are most people don't have any means to consume it. A small percentage would have a WiFi enabled PDA or laptop with them at this time. Everyone will have their cellphone.

Glad to hear your brother-in-law is ok.
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I be a bit cynical here and say that T-Mo just wants to get their name out there?

[3125] [BlackJack] [8525]
squirrelist
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought of free WiFi sounds a little ridiculous. And free minutes would overload their already stressed system.

I think what could really help would be free unlimited text. They could send a text message to all phones in the region letting them know that they can text for free. And it might not be a bad idea for the networks to send a free text message to everyone with specific warnings such as "Martial Law declared in New Orleans" or "Looting reported throughout region" or "Health alert: stay out of the water". People outside of the area know more about what's going on than the people who are there - they have limited radio, television, etc. We get a 24 hour newsfeed of the situation on CNN.

Furthermore, I think the cellular system needs to be integrated into the Emergency Broadcast System. If there was a nuclear meltdown, I would not know until it's too late because I watch very little television or listen to the radio. My brother was in New Orleans on Sunday and didn't know about the storm until my mom called him and told him to get out. If the phones had been so overloaded that my mom couldn't get through, it would have been nice to receive a text message to let him know what's happening.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrelist wrote:
And it might not be a bad idea for the networks to send a free text message to everyone with specific warnings such as "Martial Law declared in New Orleans" or "Looting reported throughout region" or "Health alert: stay out of the water".

That is a very cool idea. I agree that instead of the traditional methods of communications like TV and radio, the involved agencies should use the modern methods of communications.

And the cell companies should help the agencies in this regard.

I agree with Jerry, this seems like more of a publicity stunt to me. However, this free service will not benefit the affected people, but will definitely help the agencies involved in helping them out. The health care, emergency crew, media etc will definitely benefit from this. I am guessing they are the only ones with the fuly charged PDAs and laptops.
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of good ideas here. I think if I were in the situation though, I might be tempted to turn my phone off to save battery, not knowing when I could next charge it. In fact I might keep it pretty hidden. A working cell phone was likely a highly attractive commodity. Still with the crowds as they are, someone might get the txt and pass it on. As far as overloaded circuits, that was the case even without free service. It appears there was some call restriction going on as well. We never could call my BinL, even when he could call out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: