FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
T-Mobile USA Offers EDGE Across 90% of GRPS Network
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: T-Mobile USA Offers EDGE Across 90% of GRPS Network Reply with quote

http://rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=23982

"T-Mobile USA Inc. said it has launched EDGE services across 90 percent of its GPRS-enabled network and that the higher-speed wireless data service now is commercially available to customers with EDGE-enabled devices. The carrier was expected to launch EDGE earlier this year, but delayed the service due to a lack of compelling devices. T-Mobile USA currently offers a pair of EDGE-enabled handsets from Motorola Inc. and Nokia Corp. A company spokesman said customers can continue to access the EDGE services for the same price as their current GRPS rate plans, but that the carrier would begin looking at possible EDGE-specific pricing plans sometime in the future."

The EDGE network would enable T-Mobile customers to surf the Internet at speeds averaging between 100 to 130 Kbps. Even though this speed is a lot better than the current 20 to 45 Kbps, it still is no match for the 300 to 500 Kbps offered by Verizon and Sprint on their EV-DO based networks. Cingular is already offering EDGE nationwide and has started offering 3G speeds using UMTS technology. T-Mobile has no plans to offer 3G technology, they I believe are betting on the Wi-Fi hot spots. The HTC Tornado is the perfect device for the T-Mobile network, it has EDGE and Wi-Fi. Wink
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Although since no current Smartphones support EDGE, we're left in the land of slow downloads until the next generation comes out, if they don't skip over to UMTS immediately. Maybe its time to grab a cheap V330 for tethering?
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if your having an Edge capable device and T-Mobiles $20 all-you-can-eat data plan, now gets you Edge speeds.

It is hard to tell if that is the case on Cingular's network. They have several data plans, one of which is also a $20 all-you-can-eat plan, which i have. It seems like what you get out of the higher priced plans is Edge, but it is not clear on their site. It is hard for me to tell if I would get better speeds with my $20 all-you-can-eat plan, if I had an Edge device.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Larson wrote:
Great news! Although since no current Smartphones support EDGE, we're left in the land of slow downloads until the next generation comes out, if they don't skip over to UMTS immediately. Maybe its time to grab a cheap V330 for tethering?

You are right, and as always the future is where the fun is...sigh...Some of the new ones will have EDGE, Moto Q and HTC Tornado. HTC Tornado, like all other HTC products will be sold under different names and by different vendors, so hopefully we will get it here soon. Smile
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven wrote:
I wonder if your having an Edge capable device and T-Mobiles $20 all-you-can-eat data plan, now gets you Edge speeds.

According to the news article it seems like that is the case. If you have EDGE capable device then you can take advantage of the faster network at the current rates. And let's hope that it will stay the same.

I could not find any official press release or information on the T-Mobile web site. T-Mobile is keeping a low profile about this upgrade. Rolling Eyes
brian_r_baker
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if only I could get an edge PC card for my laptop. Then I could just put my SIM in there when I'm away from home if I needed access!
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked it out, but Cingular may have one. And hopefully it is unlocked. Or maybe E-bay.

I am guessing that T-Mobile might be making a formal announcement and adding more products. Hopefully the HTC Tornado. Wink
me
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Audiovox SMT-5600 EDGE-capable?
Ned
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Mobile USA Offers EDGE Across 90% of GRPS Network Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
[i]"T-Mobile USA Inc. said it has launched EDGE services across 90 percent of its GPRS-enabled network and that the higher-speed wireless data service now is commercially available to customers with EDGE-enabled devices.

This is definitely NON-news at best. Ninety percent of T-Mobile's coverage in the US is virtually no coverage at all. They even show everyone on their web site (see http://www.tmobile.com/coverage/?class=coverage for T-Mobile coverage) how little coverage they have. T-Mobile is a NON-entity as far as I'm concerned.

As an exercise, compare T-Mobile to Cingular coverage, and I wouldn't even call Cingular's coverage great, and I think you'll come to the same conclusion, 90% of T-Mobile coverage is basically no coverage at all.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." Mark Twain
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me wrote:
Is the Audiovox SMT-5600 EDGE-capable?
No
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: