FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
2005 MVP Summit Comes to a Close - Life Returns to Normal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> UPDATE Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encece
Smartphone Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense intended, but I need to ask....why is it after every MVP conference, all I read about is urinals and shooting guns and who drank what. That is all very cool and I enjoy the stories. I understand there are a bunch of NDA items under discussion. But I hardly ever read about relavent things after the meetings.

MVPs are supposed to be OUR conduit to Microsoft in a sense. Information is supposed to flow both ways thru you guys. Am I wrong? Instead all I hear about are non-ms-ppc/smartphone related things and we are usually given the line that you cant talk about anything.

At least tell us all the cool stuff they gave you so we could be jealous. Smile

Along the year, we ask you and other MVPs questions and submit issues for you to bring to MS. It would be cool to have them answered and addressed in some formal fashion after the summit....in some form. PLEASE!

I'm not trying to sound like MSMOBILES in ANY WAY! Please dont take it that way. I would just like the "leaders of the mobile community" to share the information that they learn at these things.

I feel like I'm at work and there is another closed door management meeting going on....only here...I cant go to the office on the other side of the wall, a listen in thru the duct work! Smile
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Temporale wrote:
The whole Summit was held on site as Microsoft. Most of our sessions were held in the conference room on the ground floor of the Mobile Devices building. Right as you walk in the door of the building there one of those oversized display models of a Axim and a MPx200. They stood about 6 or 7 feet tall. I was going to take a picture for you guys, but my camera broke. Sad So no pictures for me. At least nothing after the flight out.

You mean this, right? Wink

There might have been an opportunity to see individual workplaces, but we didn't really have time for it. Plus, I don't think we'd be allowed to share that anyway.

--janak
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

encece wrote:
No offense intended, but I need to ask....why is it after every MVP conference, all I read about is urinals and shooting guns and who drank what. That is all very cool and I enjoy the stories. I understand there are a bunch of NDA items under discussion. But I hardly ever read about relavent things after the meetings.

MVPs are supposed to be OUR conduit to Microsoft in a sense. Information is supposed to flow both ways thru you guys. Am I wrong? Instead all I hear about are non-ms-ppc/smartphone related things and we are usually given the line that you cant talk about anything.

You're correct. So, here it is - all I can say about the day long sessions:

{ CENSORED } Wink

I can tell you all about how we were treated and the food we ate, where we went and that stuff. I can tell you the questions I asked, but I can't tell you the answers I got. I'll say that most of the MVPs wouldn't stop until they got an answer that they liked. Especially when it came to carriers. :twak:

encece wrote:

Sure! Are you read for this. It's ground breaking.... a dress shirt with "MVP" stitched on the pocket, and a pen. Seriously, that's all I got.

encece wrote:
Along the year, we ask you and other MVPs questions and submit issues for you to bring to MS. It would be cool to have them answered and addressed in some formal fashion after the summit....in some form. PLEASE!

The problem is this; the answers deal with Microsofts future efforts. Thus we can't talk about it. I can personally guarantee you that I brought up all the issues raised in this forum over the last year or so. At times, I searched out the product group specifically to let them know the pain that we are all experiencing.

encece wrote:
I'm not trying to sound like MSMOBILES in ANY WAY! Please dont take it that way. I would just like the "leaders of the mobile community" to share the information that they learn at these things.

I feel like I'm at work and there is another closed door management meeting going on....only here...I cant go to the office on the other side of the wall, a listen in thru the duct work! Smile

Trust me, I fully understand. It hurts me to stay quite. I would love to stand up on the front page and yell out everything. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll get the pants sued off me. Sad
Janak Parekh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

encece wrote:
MVPs are supposed to be OUR conduit to Microsoft in a sense. Information is supposed to flow both ways thru you guys. Am I wrong?

Not entirely, but it's more complicated than that.

I can tell you that a lot of stuff flows INTO Microsoft, but stuff flowing out needs explicit permission. There was at least one talk that was considered so sensitive that the speaker threatened to walk out if he as much as saw a camera pulled out in the room.

Quote:

I, myself, got two t-shirts. I also got the right to buy some stuff from the company store, which I haven't done yet. The coolest stuff was the information. Believe me, it's frustrating that we can't talk about it.

Quote:

The summit isn't such a good place to do that. Sad We do bring all the issues. The problem is that much of the info we get includes future development, and Microsoft keeps that information very close to its chest. The silver lining is that, as we get public info from time-to-time, we'll post on it.

--janak
encece
Smartphone Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That STINKS! Twisted Evil

If I am wrong and the intention of MVPs isn't to bridge the space between MS and it's users then they should really consider creating a vehicle that would do just that.

I need to stop ranting and get back to work!

PS.
You guys got jipped! I thought you get free phones and MS Products at the conference...I goodie bag of sorts! I've read that's what they've done in the past. Well, if they don't then they should.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

encece wrote:
If I am wrong and the intention of MVPs isn't to bridge the space between MS and it's users then they should really consider creating a vehicle that would do just that.

MVP is really just an award for the work a person has done in the previous 12 month period. As Janak mentioned, events like the Summit give us an opportunity to talk and share issues with Microsoft, however the answers aren't always as easy as a "yes" or "no". As such, we can't really share that with you guys.

encece wrote:
I need to stop ranting and get back to work!

Well, that's no fun! Laughing

encece wrote:
PS.
You guys got jipped! I thought you get free phones and MS Products at the conference...I goodie bag of sorts! I've read that's what they've done in the past. Well, if they don't then they should.

Maybe in the past. I wouldn't know - this was my first time. We didn't get any products per say. However, we were given a chance to spend a small amount of our own money at the employee store on software and hardware. But that small amount goes pretty fast.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janak Parekh wrote:
You mean this, right? Wink

Yup that's what I was talking about. Thanks!
Janak Parekh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

encece wrote:

To add to Mike's answer: the MVP is a "support award", whereby Microsoft gives us some more tools and information to help us support users. Some of that is nonprivileged, and others are privileged. MVPs have done things like bugreports and support questions that have been reported back to end-users all the time, but MS also provides NDA info to us to help us prepare support for newer technologies.

Quote:
PS.

Considering the number of MVPs there are, it's difficult for MS to give us all that. Quite frankly, the ability to discuss issues and provide feedback is the most useful aspect to me.

--janak
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have to tell you guys about Jake, one of 2 SPOT MVPs in the world, and the only one that was able to attend the summit. Jake is maybe 15 years old - 16 max! I had a couple different talks with him, and I must say that Jake really knows his stuff. He mentioned his website to me, but I've forgotten the name already. Sad Anyway, since he was the only person in his product group, Jake's sessions consisted of him visiting different members of the SPOT team - at their desk. Imagine getting the chance to chat 1 on 1 with the developers for a couple days. Very Happy

Where ever you are Jake, I'm certian you've got a bright future ahead of you. :way to go:

Update: Google rocks! In case anyone is interested, here is his website: SpotDev.net Cool
sven
Smartphone Sage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd poke my nose in here. Janak really defined it. MVP is an award for past efforts. You can hang the certificate on your wall, not sign the NDA and walk away, and you'll still have the title for a year.

The additional perks are two fold. We get some stuff that may not be widely available, previews, access to internal info, things that we really can't talk about unless MS says we can talk about it. Generally that only happens after they have already talked about it. This aspect is very frustrating. It has killed me in the past to know that such and such that is being bashed in a newsgroup or forum is being fixed in the next release. In the mobile devices space, releasing such information has different ramafications than in the general MS software space. Beyond just the potential that the fix doesn't make it into the release, doesn't work, or isn't what the users want, which can happen in the purely software side, such info can be detrimental to MS's OEM partners. MS has contractual obligations relative to their partners, and through the NDA, so do we.

What we can do with this info is get enthoused and excited, and a little headstart on what is coming out, so we can try to answer questions when the new devices/OSs appear. We can also point out issues that we see, so they can possible be reacted to before the new stuff comes out. That brings me to the second benefit. We do hold a position of some respect within the Mobile Devices product group. We are by no means a distributed chief architect, but our voices are heard and provided some enhanced credibility. Doesn't mean we are the only feedback MS listens to. They listen to OEMs, corporations, carriers, consumers, and others as well. The Summit is a great opportunity to meet the people at MS we are trying to influence, face to face. I can't overemphasize the value of having direct interaction. It suddenly becomes much more personal, than numeric analysis of surveys, and rants in newsgroups.

This is my third summit and I came away with one thing that I have come away with each other time. The the folks at MS that are producing the code you see, are absolutely dedicated to making the PPC the best experience for you that they can. They are excited, exceptionally competent, energetic, and unfortunately, often constrained by things outside their control. Budget, time, over-arching direction, business goals, all figure into what they can do, which is often much less than what they would like to do.

A side bennie of the summit to me is actually meeting the other MVPs, Mike, Janak, Jason, and many others, in the Mobile Devices space, or others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> UPDATE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: