FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
MEdia Net ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qzic
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if tethering does work on all plans, what about port access? Can you do VPN, SSH, VOIP, or whatever from a tethered device on MEdia Net?
optikalsaint
Smartphone Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qzic wrote:
Even if tethering does work on all plans, what about port access? Can you do VPN, SSH, VOIP, or whatever from a tethered device on MEdia Net?

honestly, i personally havent tried using any of those services with my $19.99 plan. I can tell you now that i pretty much been able to do anything else i have wanted to do. FTP, streaming audio/video, filesharing, etc.

maybe when i get home tonight ill try out some VoIP solutions for you and see what i can find but to be honest i really dont think you'll have a problem.

in all honesty though being able to use the $19.99 MediaNET plan with your smartphone is just a glitch in the system. i honestly dont think they realized that people would be using there smartphones to teather to laptops. the whole reason why they have the PDA connect add-on ($44.99 w/voice plan) is because they encourage those individuals to teather and use all the data they can either by browsing or downloading emails, etc.

the average user usually wont spend $400USD+ for a phone, mostly because the average joe can't afford it. if you cant afford or wont buy a $400USD+ phone why would you spend $40-50USD a month on internet access for it?

all PDA connect is really is MediaNET in a nice big pretty bow that cost a lot more Smile
TonyR
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my Dell Axim to connect through my Razr on MediaNet for months, never was charged extra. Trying to get the Axim connected through my SP3i this morning.
elehcdn
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased one of the Sony/Ericsson Edge PC cards off of ebay for my laptop. I pull the sim out of my MPx220, put it into the Edge card and connectd at Edge speeds. I have never been charged any more than the 19.99 for MediaNet Unlimited even though I surf the web, use email (including secure email) and newsgroups (secure as well). I have not used ftp, but have downloaded large files with the web browser.

Now, I am upgrading to an 8125 due to arrive tomorrow, since I have not had much luck in actually tethering to my laptop or PDA with the MPx200. I can't wait, and am hoping that my plan doesn't change and that I don't have to pull my sim card as much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> AT&T Wireless - Cingular All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: