FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
How Do You Sync With Google Calendar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: How Do You Sync With Google Calendar? Reply with quote

One of the tasks on my to-do list for this weekend was to setup Google calendar sync on my wife's Smartphone. As the resident gadget guru and Smartphone expert, I had been bragging about how it would simplify my dear wife's calendar related tasks. I had expected it to be a quick 15 minute task, but in practice the experience has been harrowing. Not to mention right now while I am writing this post, asking our readers for help, my wife is giggling at me and taunting me with - "smartphone expert, eh!" Embarassed So folks, please help me out. Can I setup up the Smartphone or the Outlook to sync with Google calendar? If so, what tool or tools do I need to use? Of course, I would prefer something that is free. I have checked quite few posts and tools but haven't found anything that worked. Please if you are using Google calendar and syncing it to your Smartphone, help me out!
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try goosync. It works for me. Sync google calendar directly to MS Smartphone. From there synch to your outlook through Activesynch if you have stuff in outlook.
vincenzosi
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris:

Try Companionlink . I've seen a few people using it (one of whom I work with) who had no problem paying the $15 for it after the trial was over.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfb wrote:
try goosync. It works for me. Sync google calendar directly to MS Smartphone. From there synch to your outlook through Activesynch if you have stuff in outlook.

I had tried the GCalendarSync. It bombed. Researched the Internet and our site, got confused. I did see GooSync but somehow after battling with GCalendarSync, I didn't have the patience to register for GooSync and give it a try. Now that I know it works for someone I will give it a try. On the Net I found conflicting views, lots of users seem to have trouble with GooSync. BTW..the name is a bit funky.

Thanks pfb, and welcome to our site.

vincenzosi wrote:
Try Companionlink. I've seen a few people using it (one of whom I work with) who had no problem paying the $15 for it after the trial was over.

I hadn't heard about this one. If push comes to shove, I might have to pay for the service I guess. Again, good to know that people are using it and it works.

Thanks for the information, vincenzosi.

I would like to hear from more readers about their experiences.
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this post is proving to be really helpful for me. One of my wishes has been a FREE tool for syncing my Outlook/Exchange calendar with Google, so that I can share it with my wife.

gMigrate can do that.
http://www.companionlink.com/produc...s/gmigrate.html

I am giving it a try on my work system right now.

Thanks once again, vincenzosi.
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the free version of Oggsync. It's not automatic sync (pay for version is), but so far it's been excellent.

http://oggsync.com/
Mark Larson
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to...

1. Sync Google Calendar with Outlook so you can sync your smartphone through the PC (is this what you are trying to do, Kris?)

2. Sync Google Calendar directly over the air (wifi or EDGE/EV-DO).
robertgbl
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is indeed an interesting topic. I have been working with goosync for a few weeks. There have been many problems but the latest version is pretty good. Occasional appts fail to show up in google calendar and there are a few issues revolving around the DST mess.

I would recommend a try of goosync. It isn't perfect but it is getting substantially better everyday.

If there is a better solution I would love to try it.
chucky.egg
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OggSync runs over the air (good if you have unmetered internet access, bad if you dont), which for me was the best solution.

Sync'ing via Outlook is fine, but if I don't turn the laptop on for a day or two then Google is out of date.

I have WM5, and Exchange account and unlimited data, so sync'ing direct from the device to both Exchange and Google makes most sense.
brandon
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucky.egg wrote:
OggSync runs over the air

Sync'ing via Outlook is fine, but if I don't turn the laptop on for a day or two then Google is out of date.

Which is why I went with Oggsync as well. I rarely if ever do email on my laptop anymore. I would say 90% of my email and calendaring is done on my BlackJack. I don't have the time to do all the syncing to the desktop/laptop, sync to google, etc. I launch Oggsync on my BlackJack and press Go. No extra steps, no fuss. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: