FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost their EDGE Network Speed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost their ED Reply with quote

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cutting-...oids-273470.php

Steve Jobs must have gotten really angry when he tried his soon to be revolutionary mobile gadget for the very first time on AT&T's EDGE network. That would explain why the AT&T executives scrambled to get the EDGE data network performance up from the dismal 45Kbits/sec. I tried the DSLReports a few times on my Dash, and put together the above animated image that shows the results ranging from 66Kbits/sec to 165Kbits/sec. I am easily averaging speed over 100Kbits/sec and even saw a high of 175Kbits/sec. I know it is not as stunning as the latest speed boost that the Verizon EV-DO customers got, but still for us EDGE users it is a big improvement. Who would have thought that Windows Mobile users will also benefit from the launch of a competitor's phone; thank you Apple. The one thing that bugs me is that how come AT&T didn't perform the upgrades a lot sooner, aren't BlackBerry, Treo and Windows Mobile data users worthy of speeds over 100Kbits/sec? Evil or Very Mad Anyway, lets enjoy the speed boost. Please do share with us the speed that you are getting using the test site over here, and also your location.
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarillo, TX similar results 120k-160k range
HalM
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidson, NC (Charlotte suburb), Excalibur S620, was averaging 40'ish KBs. Now up into the high 70's. Also they may have done something else on the data side. My wife/partner's Blackjack used to toggle between EDGE and 3G. It now solid 3G and averages between 800KBs and 1 Mb. As a matter of fact DSLREPORTS can't perform a speed test on the Blackjack with less than a 1 Mb test file.
webini
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of last night I'm getting consistently 210 - 225 kb/sec in Maine on my Blackjack. No 3G up here. This is nice!
rdecker
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

150K to 175K on Edge on my Blackjack in Las Vegas
30K on GPRS
950K on 3G
John Cody
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost thei Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
>

Steve Jobs must have gotten really angry when he tried his soon to be revolutionary mobile gadget for the very first time on AT&T's EDGE network.

LOL - You'll notice that all of the iPhone commercials that show it viewing and zooming in on a webpage are of an *already loaded* webpage. The commercial would have been a 5 minute commercial if it tried to load the New York Times homepage in real time Laughing
SteveHoward999
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77 - 175 here in rural Mississippi.

I get patchy signal here at my house. I'm sure if I get nearer to a decent tower I could average a lot better than 175!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the fun of sliding yor fingers all over the screen wears off, you will have a real nice paper weight to play with.
vincenzosi
Smartphone Intellectual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost thei Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:
The one thing that bugs me is that how come AT&T didn't perform the upgrades a lot sooner, aren't BlackBerry, Treo and Windows Mobile data users worthy of speeds over 100Kbits/sec?

I reckon it has something to do with sheer volume for one, and secondly I'd be willing to bet Apple did a little chipping in to make sure the EDGE network was up to snuff before launch. Truth is, the iPhone made a bigger wave on the industry than any other phone in history, love it or hate it.

When the 8525 launched, how many people lined up for it?

Just something to think about.
Hyer
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran the test in Denver, got a wopping 18kbs, yes only 18! It must be the altitude!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: